'69 Evinrude 9.9 hp.

Scruffelizer

Cadet
Just bought this boat and motor. It starts right up but plowes the water. Suspect it is a lean/rich adjustment. How do I do that? Or could it be other problem? thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: '69 Evinrude 9.9 hp.

There was no 9.9hp model in 1969. What is the model number?

Note: Plows the water means that as the boat travels faster, the bow digs downwards into the water. What exactly is that engine doing?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is it running on both cylinders. Pull one plug lead at a time and see if you find a dead cylinder. Also post a model #.

Last edited:

Scruffelizer

Cadet

Note: Plows the water means that as the boat travels faster, the bow digs downwards into the water. What exactly is that engine doing?

9.5 Sorry. Model # 9922S The engine sounds to be running fine but fails to get the boat up on plane. The boat is a
15' Aluminum Sea Nymph which should get up and go. Motor sounds good but pushes the boat like a barge. Thanks...

Scruffelizer

Cadet

Model # is 9922S It is a 9.5 Sorry. Will pull plug leads later today. Motor does not sound like it is missing. Runs as it should but
just does not get the boat up on plane. Pushes it like a barge. Thanks...

Scruffelizer

Cadet

It is a 9.5 Sorry. The engine sounds good, does not seem to be missing, but pushes the boat like a barge. Boat is 15' Aluminum
Sea Nymph. Motor should get it up and on plane with little effort it seems to me. Don't think I am under powered but it sure acts
that way. Thanks...

Scruffelizer

Cadet

The engine sounds and appears to be running fine but it fails to get the boat up on plane. The boat is 15' aluminum Sea
Nymph. Could I be under powered??? I don't think so but results look that way. Engine seems to be laboring to plane
out not missing or chugging. My suspicion is the fuel mixture (lean/rich adjustment) in order to get optimum performance.
Engine starts right up and idles just fine. My problem starts when I put it in gear and try to get up and on plane. It just
pushes the boat thru the water. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Model # 9922S is a 1969 9.5hp Evinrude.

The adjustable needle valve is only for the idle speed adjustment... that is to obtain the smoothest idle. It has nothing to do with the high speed operation of the engine. The carburetor has a fixed brass high speed jet and is not adjustable.

If the engine is running on two cylinders, I would suspect that either the engine prop end (engine angle) is set too far back from the transom or you need to put some weight in the bow end of that boat.

Engine Angle: View the boat from the side when it's on a trailer. The cavitation plate just above the propeller should be approximately 3/4 below the keel at the transom and parallel to the bottom of the boat.

Scruffelizer

Cadet

How does this look? I am trying to send a picture of my motor position. I hope it gets through. This is the position it was in when I bought it. I have not moved it. I must suppose the previous owner was happy with its performance. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Joe.

Scruffelizer

Cadet

I failed to mention-- My trolling motor, battery, tackle boxes and cooler are all in the front of the boat. The only weight in the rear is me and a 20lb anchor. Did you get the pic?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Did you get the pic?

Can you see it, I can't. What did you find when looking at the side view of the boat... the cavitation plate angle of attack as I described? You would have a better idea than I would.

Scruffelizer

Cadet

I took a photo of the motor and angle to the transom but it appears it did not upload. I think the cavitation plate is at the same angle
as the bottom of the boat and about 1"-1/2" below the bottom of the boat. Does not seem to be enough to make that much difference
but perhaps. I am considering a fishing trip next week and had hoped to have solved my problem before then. I also have an idea
to change the angle of the motor just to see if it improves performance. I seem to recall that to raise the bow I need to move the motor out or further from the boat--or is it the other way around? There is a small lake where I can launch about 15 miles away. I may
go and tinker with it. Thanks for your assistance.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1.5" is too deep and creates a tremendous amount of drag.

3/4" is the maximum.

Scruffelizer

Cadet

Perhaps this is the problem or at least contributes to the problem. I think I will raise the motor an inch and see what that does for me.
I have also adjusted the motor in one notch. I think I will try to run it tomorrow or Friday for results and will post.