1999 Johnson 25HP reputation?

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an opportunity to buy a 1999 Johnson 25hp. I would replace my 1975 Evinrude which runs great by the way, with a newer more efficient engine that makes more power. They are asking $800 obo and it appears to be in good condition. What do you guys think?

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1999 Johnson 25HP reputation?

Any ideas? Opinions? How do they stack up against the Yamaha 25hp?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I guess it's in all what you want. The Johnson has less moving parts to break than the Yamaha has.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is that a 3 cylinder. If so they had a lot of problems with the power packs

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you're keeping the '75, go ahead and get the '99 & keep the old motor as a back up. It's always nice to have a back up - Car - Bike - Chainsaw - Girlfriend - etc....

jbjennings

Captain

A '99 2-cylinder johnson 25hp is about as good as they ever got. I own a '99 30hp 2-stroke (same motor as the 25, with a different carb) and it still runs like the day I bought it. You will like it better than your '75 model. It has shallow drive and more power, and a better designed lower unit. The bad is that there's more plastic parts. I love mine and don't regret the purchase.
I personally think it is a better motor than the yamaha 25hp for just a few reasons, although the yamaha 25hp is a super good motor.
JMO,
JBJ

hidef

Lieutenant

Once again it depends on the engine. If the engine is a triple they run smooth as silk and are very quiet if everything is good. Reliability is questionable however, the powerpacks and the oil injection seem to be the two major weak points. You can get rid of the oil injection easy enough but the powerpack is expensive to replace.

The 25hp twins are a fantastic engine and they are very reliable.

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate all of the time you all took to educate me. The motor was sold but if I come across another one like it now I know. I know every maker has their good models and the years they were trying to get things right. I'll keep shopping around in the meantime. Thanks again fellas

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A '99 2-cylinder johnson 25hp is about as good as they ever got. I own a '99 30hp 2-stroke (same motor as the 25, with a different carb) and it still runs like the day I bought it. You will like it better than your '75 model. It has shallow drive and more power, and a better designed lower unit. The bad is that there's more plastic parts. I love mine and don't regret the purchase.
I personally think it is a better motor than the yamaha 25hp for just a few reasons, although the yamaha 25hp is a super good motor.
JMO,
JBJ

A 2004 Johnson 25 has popped up for sale possibly. Any drawbacks to this year or is it the same as 1999? I would look up part diagrams but don't have access at the moment to a computer, just have my cell phone. What are the reasons you have for the Johnson having the edge over the Yamaha?