Upper stern drive gears Toast!!!

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok Engine # 6744710 Leg #6742325. Last week was out on st clair river after my carb rebuild testing things out every thing went great boat runs strong. The next day my nefew and I went out every thing is great at the end of the day we head to the boat ramp and about 300 feet out in 38 feet of water I hear a load banging noise like I hit something but no way not in 38 feet well the noise got worse by the time we made it in. took it home pulled the drive hopping it was a ujoint but nope.So poped the top cover off the upper and sure enough the gears are toast broken teeth! Now I had recently replaced all the seals in the upper and lower during the restoration on this boat. All the gears and bearings looked fine at that point. There was lots of oil in the top but looked a little milky would that cause the failer any insite on what I could have done wrong Or what mite have happened? Thanks PHIL Sorry 4 the long post! Also I didn't use marine gear lube I used a good quality 80w90 hypoid gear lube did this trying to save 20 bucks just cost me 1500:facepalm:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Upper stern drive gears Toast!!!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The milky oil indicates some sort of water intrusion past one of your replaced seals. How did the drive bellows look? Dry? And when you replaced your yoke shaft seal during restoration, I can only assume you used the correct torquing method for your pinion nut? (using the wrong method would more-than-likely cause the gears to fail).

flipbro

The bellows had a very tiny bit of water witch also bothers me since I replaced all the bellows when I did the seals. I used bellows adhesive and made sure the mating surefaces were clean! Ok so I can assume the bottom is toast now to because of the meteal in the top end! Or can it be took apart inspected cleaned and reassembled? Also what other engine sizes used the same gear ratio as the 5.7? Thanks phil!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

5.7 used 1.5:1 ratio a few questions regarding the re-seal firstly which seals did you replace did you use the FACTORY manual and follow it TO THE LETTER how did you set the drive gear retaining nut as for the oil yeah i see that a lot people trying to save a few cents at the risk of thousands of dollars personally i just don't see why "Oh, but this crap Chinese impeller is $4 cheaper than the OEM one" why why risk thousands to save $4 same with oil why risk huge repair bills not to mention the boating time lost to save a tiny amount if you want to save that sort of money stop smoking or put 1 bottle back in the fridge if you smoke or drink of course ok ill get off my high horse now :) the oil is unlikely to have caused the problem using the right oil you know what I mean might have reduced the damage or delayed it where to go from here personally a new SEI chris

flipbro

Thanks I don't drink or smoke(BUT MAY START) lol but good advice! I did use oem seals.Im starting to learn the hard way that trying to save a few bucks cost way more in the end! I think setting the retaining nut is were I messed up! Im going to be brutily honest here I didn't torque it.I grabed my impact and well you now! Was stuck on stupid and tired. I never ever use my impact when there are bearings involved but it was rite there and I just grabbed it and tightened the nut up

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Ouch! I applaud your brutal honesty. lesson learned for others.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Let me guess... You didn't look in the manual either.... There are 2 different methods required for torquing up the nut depending on which bearings and gears you have.... All a bit of a moot point now.. :facepalm:...

Time to click HERE.

Chris.......

Last edited:

flipbro

Boy o Boy I really messed this one up. Well guess she sits till next year. Thanks 4 the replys PHIL

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To answer your other question....yes disassemble the lower half inspect and clean and reassemble.

flipbro

Is the retaining nut not just torqued to 80 foot pounds? This is a R drive and does not require the rolling torque.Does any one have a link to doing this job?

Bondo

Staff member

Is the retaining nut not just torqued to 80 foot pounds? This is a R drive and does not require the rolling torque.Does any one have a link to doing this job?

Ayuh,... The Factory manuals can be found by followin' the links from the Adults Only section,...

It's Very Well covered in the manual,...

flipbro

Great thanks abunch guys this site has been very helpful to me I started out in the restoration forums about 6months ago when I got this 1984 200 elite since then ive done stringers, bulkheads, deck, transom. Installed a new motor Had to redo carb resealed the out drive but that was a fail owell I will make it rite again and learned a valuble lesson..So thanks Iboats is a great site

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

At the very least you would want to clean and inspect the lower... but if it were me, I would simply go buy a new complete Sterndrive Engineering outdrive. It would cost nearly as much in parts trying to fix yours. I have used a couple of them in different boats - GREAT value for a brand new outdrive.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

yeah, you can get an SEI upper at your door for around $750. Whole drive around $1600 to Canadian address.

thumpar

Admiral

The tools alone to rebuild a drive would cost you as much as a new SEI drive and you get a 3 year warranty with the SEI.