1971 starcraft holiday I/O rebuild

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok folks here we go. I've been looking for a supersport for a while when i came across this Holiday. Not exactly what i was after but darn close. It needs a whole big bucket of love, but I think its gonna be a fun job albeit time consuming.

I only gave $200 for it including the trailer so I feel like I got it right. Work will go on as time and funds allow, so it could be slow going for a bit here. Much of the tear down was done by a kid and his grandfather. It was to be their project but the old man passed away, and the kid decided to give it up due to no space no time and no knowledge.

Its pretty straight, has an extra coat of paint on it. The motor looks pretty sad, dipstick shows oil and water. The drive created a nice sheen on the water when we floated it looking for major leaks, so I am gonna plan on that all being junk and go the donor boat route and look for a little newer 3.0 alpha setup i think.

Kinda stinks there is no old floor to use as templates but based on the transoms condition, I doubt it would have been good enough to use as a pattern.

20130829_132540.jpg20130830_083839.jpg20130830_083850.jpg20130830_083857.jpg1971 holiday small.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1971 starcraft holiday I/O rebuild

Get friendly with a local appliance store and ask for cardboard from appliances. You will be able to make the templates from that OR you can use tyvek house wrap or even some cheap bed sheets and some duct tape....... tape it across and use a sharpie to make your templates. Really not hard at all ;)

Don't write off the old motor until you tear it down a bit. Have it pressure tested for cracks.

Just as I mentioned in your previous post - look at this http://forums.iboats.com/completed-b...ld-325768.html

No pressure treated wood should be used. Restoration should be done at a slow steady pace...... not a race.

pckeen

Commander

Great shore on the boat. I have a 68 Holiday, and look forward to watching your rebuild.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hey Mo I see you did it, welcome to the Starcraft dry dock!

First off you need to open a photobucket account, upload your pics, then past the IMG code into your posts. Everyone likes it that way, makes it easier to read and view at the same time.

Ah yes you will need a donor boat. I too had the old 2.5L and MC outdrive set up. If you check my thread you'll see what I decided on. The donor will give you lots of goodies for your boat including the big stuff like new control, steering, harness and drive train.

The Holiday looks like a great project that when finished will last another 40+ years.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome to the Starmada!

Great project right there! I wasn't expecting such an early model to have the tabbing for supporting the spray rail (this '71 doesn't have it).

I can't help to feel for the kid...maybe if you ever need an extra set of hands, he'd be willing to help out and learn a few things.

Last edited:

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

Showed the boat to my dad today, he looked at me like my hair was on fire..... Then suggested I dont know how much work I'm in for and a bunch of other silly reasons to scrap it... To be fair he is probably right about not realizing how much time I will have in it but it will keep me outta trouble.

He helped with this one a couple years ago on the cheap to get me started in boating. It was extremely soggy had been decked over and the topside was slathered in house paint. I had a thread on it but the pics have all vanished.

0519010926.jpg0519010925.jpg

We are out growing it and mostly just cruise and hang out, so its time to move into something family friendly.

Anyway all I did today was reorganize my garage to make room for this thing to fit. Then decided to begin looking at the motor, and the pic doesnt show it well but them plugs are dang rusty, and a couple were wet with water.

plugs.jpg

That pretty well seals the deal on needing a donor boat later on. Gonna read up on removing the outdrive and find something tall enough to pull the motor, I have an automotive engine hoist but sitting up high on the trailer its not gonna get the job done.

Will start a photo bucket account also, I used webshots before but they have changed.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Gonna read up on removing the outdrive and find something tall enough to pull the motor, I have an automotive engine hoist but sitting up high on the trailer its not gonna get the job done.

Will start a photo bucket account also, I used webshots before but they have changed.

Take the trailer tires off & set the trailer frame on blocks

Call a wrecker, might swing a deal if you agree to wait until their on a run nearby. But have it ready to pull & somewhere for it to be dropped all set up & ready to go quick.

No primary trusses that would support the motor's weight briefly in the boat hanger behind the glasser:
attachment.php

Or build a gantry:
46800x478_zps1aacc6a2.jpg

Perhaps the best designed & built (overbuilt X10 actually) gantry I've ever seen ^^^..... Iboats or not

From here:
1997 Chaparral 2330 Bowrider - Minor Restore and Refit

It does NOT need to be that substantial, just make sure it's sufficient & stable.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB thats my step fathers building so i would need to run that by him, my garage is considerably smaller and has a drywalled ceiling. Also no glasser in them pics she is an all welded 1995 crestliner.

BUT it just occured to me that i have a gantry of sorts in the form of a heavy wooden swingset. I think it will be tall enough.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

My apologies to Crestliner :facepalm:

Be extra nice to your step father, it make a heck of a good boat hanger for working on a Holiday over the winter :cool:

Just make sure you're POSITIVE the swingset will support the motor & has sufficient height to allow the motor to clear the transom.

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Showed the boat to my dad today, he looked at me like my hair was on fire..... Then suggested I dont know how much work I'm in for and a bunch of other silly reasons to scrap it...

IMHO, $200.00 is a steal for that boat. For one thing, it's not glass meaning that you won't be itchy for a few months. You've got work ahead of you but you'll be avoiding any real heavy demo work which really bites. Rebuild away!

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spent the weekend with family for the most part, had some river therapy too. I forgot how hard water is when you get flung off a tube its been a few years for me.

Meanwhile in the garage, I spent a little time trying to get that outdrive off, its out about 1/2 -3/4 inch, it appears to be fully in forward gear. The cables are SUPER stiff, does anyone have clues on how to get this thing off? I saw where some have used the trim cylinders to do it but I don't see that as a real option for me. Maybe a carefully placed porta power?

The more I stare at this thing I wonder if it met its demise during some flooding that area had a few years ago...

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally got the outdrive worked off of this thing. But I think I may have bent the shift linkage that comes out of the lower unit, I had it in reverse so it should have just slipped apart but it took ALOT of persuasion, and there appears to be a drag mark on the portion that stays with the boat where the linkage comes out the bottom. Sorry guys Im not up on all the stern drive terms yet.

Progress is slow so far but thats ok... I have a plan to get the motor out, then wash the thing up.

Oh yeah got photobucket going too!

Found that it has very NEW appearing u joints, but it takes a huge amount of effort to turn the input shaft so I'm afraid there was water intrusion and its all rusted up or its just plain busted.

This is what that linkage piece looks like now. It will click into forward gear but i cannot seem to get it to find reverse, this combined with it not being straight leads me to think I bent it. Probably not gonna use it anyways but don't want to misrepresent it during sale either.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

Turns out the engine hoist was able to get the job done after taking the trailer wheels off. Not much holds these engines in place, far easier job than cars like i am used to.

So all thats left to do is remove the transom plate and gimble housing. The dead status of the engine was confirmed when we pulled the oil drain plug, and filled a 9qt oil pan with nothing but water.... Kinda expected this tho so its cool.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

200 bux? Awesome score!!:thumb:

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

200 bux? Awesome score!!:thumb:

Now I need you to send me a wayward rotten glasser so I can relieve it of the heavy load of motor and other goodies. Gonna have to do this one bottom feeder style, good thing I have your posts to look at. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Now I need you to send me a wayward rotten glasser so I can relieve it of the heavy load of motor

Yah, good news is there are plenty of nasty glassers out there with the 3.0 in em, should be a pretty easy find for ya:thumb:

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't over look a 6cyl if you came across one. I don't know where you are at but at my high altitude (8000' +) I could not get the performance I needed from the 4cyl. By just moving the front mount about 6" it is exactly the same installation. Easy now at the stage you are in. ....Just a thought. Mine really runs great now. Again, don't know where you are at but I have 2 complete motors and merc out drives if you want them.

Grzzz

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the offer grzzzz I am in eastern iowa. I'm oped to things other than the 4 cylinder, but I think I would sway to the 4.3l v6 before an inline.

Sort of in a holding pattern right now doing alot of thinking on how to proceed. Life is kinda busy and I'm trying to stash some money while I lie in wait for that boat someone figured out is rotten to come up for sale as the season winds down. I need to make sure I can get the thing legal which is likely going to require back payment of all past due registration, which between boat and trailer is going to be a couple hundred bucks alone.

Then I need to decide if I want to persue a drivetrain or begin rebuilding interior and repainting first, its not going to be a showroom resto for sure. I want a functional safe family boat to cruise and hangout in, needs the power to drag a tube and screw around sometimes. I would like it to look nice and presentable but showroom shiny is not required.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

its not going to be a showroom resto for sure. I want a functional safe family boat to cruise and hangout in, needs the power to drag a tube and screw around sometimes. I would like it to look nice and presentable but showroom shiny is not required.
This may change by the time you finish drinking your Starcraft Koolaid. - Grandad