No start/intermittent spark on #2

NYBo

Admiral
Having fixed my throttle pivot problem a few days ago, I still have a no-start situation. Using an ignition analyzer, I'm getting consistent spark from cylinders 1 & 3, but only intermittent spark on 2. When spark is indicated, cranking speed goes up, and the motor almost starts or starts for a few seconds.

1. Would this troubleshooting procedure be useful? http://forums.iboats.com/force-chrysler-outboards/mechanic-says-its-trigger-624079.html#post4350050
2. The CD boxes and coils on my motor, an '87, are blue. On my spare motor that ran when I bought the boat, an '88, they are black; I also have a spare set of black components but they came in a box so I don't know what's good. Can the two colors be mixed? I know the connectors between the CD boxes and coil are opposite, but are the parts electrically equivalent? I also have the trigger and stator from the spare motor, and a set from the "goodie box."

Last edited:

foodfisher

Captain
Re: No start/intermittent spark on #2

Only help I can offer is: #2 by itself is , 1) plug 2) coil 3) Trigger assembly. How to any of these beyond the plug is beyond me.

You can have a bad stator as well. The stator can charge up to 4 cylinders. Since it's a 3 cylinder, one half of the stator is charging the CD for 1 &3, the other half is charging only half a CD module- #2 cylinder. There's 1 half of a CD not being used on the 3 cylinders. You're going to need a good meter with a DVA attachment to figure this one out. Have you looked at CDI's troubleshooting guide?

ISSUU - CDI Electronics Troubleshooting Guide - 2012 by CDI Electronics

These can be tricky, since there can be intermitten spark. Also because there are various ways a single cylinder can be dropping.

You really don't want to mix the ages of CD packs. They share a bias diode with each other. Bias diodes from different years can cause a cycle of short term failures.

I see too many people take $150 + guesses at parts replacement and not fix the problem.

Good luck

Doug

NYBo

Admiral

Great stuff, Doug. Thanks!