98 Jonson 150 fast strike wont rev past 2500 RPM

Gauge37

Recruit
Ok guys, let me start by saying Hi, been reading for a while and could use some advice. first things first.

johnson 150 fast strike, model #J150GLECD

carbs rebuilt with new bowls, cleaned throughly, low speed idle screws remained untouched. floats set even with gasket, with 1.125 inch of drop for full travel. replaced VRO pump, opticle sensor, power pack.

ran good before carb rebuild, was just leaking fuel from the bowls when the engine was trimmed up for transport, after rebuild idled great, sounded good, however, it would not rev past 2500-2800 rpm, thought the problem was fuel even tho enricher and pumping the ball had no affect. double checked carbs verified the throttle plates were in sync and open fully, not sticking etc. noticed VRO was leaking fuel, so I replaced VRO.. ball pumps solid, thought could be bad fuel, drained fuel, added 10 gal non ethanol fuel, one bottle 108, and stabil - still would not plain, picked up the boat, returned the following day, unloaded without starting, used trolling motor to get out of the no wake zone, started, let run for about 20 sec, still would not rev past 2500, power comes on hard then falls on it's face shaking and sputtering.

thought ok can't be temp sensor, but disconnected them at the disconnects both port and starboard, then it would not come out of FAST, AND would still not rev, I connected the port sensor left starbord disconnected, would come out of fast but not rev. replaced the powerpack opticle sensor with CDI parts, the stator sleeve is grey, and plug wires. plugs were replaced in the spring with the called for champion plugs in the spring, they look good and are gapped correctly, compression is 125-135 across all cylinders and the opticle timing wheel is clean no cracks or chips. and temp sensor wires are as far as possible away from the plug wires as possible.

this leaves a few things to check I know, I know the shift has an interrupt for one bank or the other, but when you put the engine in gear it only skips as normal but does not start the sputtering till the engine begins to come on power, then falls starts sputtering, I have noticed it beginst at times to start showing up around 1800 RPM with a slow roll on, be never gets past 2500 RPM.

Could this be the shift, diode or a temp sensor?

how can i find and test the diode without tearing the wiring harness apart?
what color is the wire the diode is in so I can test it via endpoints?
clearly if it is bad I will have to tear into the harness, but don't want to if I can test it with some knowledge of the wire it's in.

how can I test and eliminate the tempature sensors,
how can I eliminate the shift interrupt switch?

Thanks in advance jonnyrude gods, I appreciate any and all constructive advice

EDIT:

I have also verified the tank fuel pickup is clean, no trash in the tank, and there ar no fuel/air leaks between the tank and the vro, no air leaks between the VRO and carbs.

Last edited:

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 98 Jonson 150 fast strike wont rev past 2500 RPM

Did you take the jets out of the old float bowls and install in the new float bowls?

Locate the shift switch, strb side of engine, disconnect wire for test run. The shift switch should only work when coming out of farward gear.

Last edited:

Gauge37

Recruit
Re: 98 Jonson 150 fast strike wont rev past 2500 RPM

Thanks for the response

The problem was the shift interrupt switch, PN#0585013 it seems it was bad going bad or something loose in it dunno, disconnecting the shift interrupt from ground allowed the boat to plane out and run normally

replaced the switch all is well now.

as a note, the interrupt switch I pulled it out of the snap bracket while the boat was idling I could shake the switch without touching the button it and it would cause the engine to miss, the faster I shook the more it missed, either way fixed, new interrupt switch little over $100 from a local johnson marine shop and we are back to fishing again!!!

Thanks again guys.