need help guys

jeffpike83

Cadet
i have a 1958 seaking the other day i was running it in a drum it shot a flame out of the hole were the water shoots out and the water in the drum caught on fire it did it a few times but seem to run ok so the next day i took it to the river and went out around 500 yards and it used about 3 gallons of gas when i have it on full throttle it seems like im only getting half. so i took it back home put it in the drum and run it agin and it has a lot of gas in the drum i checked the plugs and both are fireing. and my gas oil mix is 24:1 could it be the carb. thanks for any help

nwcove

Admiral
Re: need help guys

:flame::flame::flame::bolt: yikes!!! thats a dangerous situation....does your seaking have a fuel pump?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Clearly you are dumping lots of extra fuel overboard. The fuel pump diaghram is a prime suspect. Carb flooding would be next suspect. Sounds like you need to check your point gap, as the motor may be out of time. Did you shear the woodruff key?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1958 huh? Have you checked the coils? They are shot unless they have already been replaced. That could be making it run on one cylinder, which would dump the other cylinder's unburned fuel into the exhaust.

Gotta tell you, I've repaired many thousands of outboards and have never seen a running motor set the test tank on fire. There should be a fog of water in the exhaust housing if the water pump is working. Very interesting, indeed.

EDIT: 3 gallons of gas in 500 yards??? Seriously? Wow. Seems like it would be hard to pump it through that fast.

Last edited:

jeffpike83

Cadet

chris i just set the points and the coils are a year old both plugs will spark when i turn it over. f-r it was funny i had it in the drum running i was sitting in the back of the boat then a big woooooofff a big fire ball shot up i jumped out of the boat my wife said she never seen me move so fast. i put new plug in it the other day when i run it ill pull them and see if one looks new and if one is burnt

jeffpike83

Cadet

well i pulled the plugs the one on top looks like new still the bottom one is little black so i guess its my coil is bad but it will spark when i turn the motor over i set the points at .020 ill check the wires if it still dont run right ill replace it im still going to check the fuel pump

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If the coils are new, it is unlikely they are defective. Could be a bad spark plug wire though. Will the spark jump a 1/4" gap?

jeffpike83

Cadet

well i think i found it theres a green wire on one of the coils and its rubbing on the inside of the flywheel ill patch it up and see if it runs better i checked the fuel pump and it looks good and clean

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

So what is the horse power and what size and material boat is it on?What kind of speed does it make?

jeffpike83

Cadet

its a 25hp and its on a 14x42 flat bottom it gets good speed with two people in it

jeffpike83

Cadet

took it out this weekend it still runs the same its got to be something little im overlooking

jeffpike83

Cadet

well i got into the motor deeper and the top cylinder is getting spark but no fuel so i took the carb off and cleaned the reeds or flappers and found a air line or vac that had a crack in it. could this be my problem.