Im stuck on choices, need some input.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at purchasing a brand new boat before next season starts. My top three are the Tahoe q7, Glastron gt205, and a Yamaha sx210. I have done my research on the I.O vs Jet and thats not my concern. Im stuck on build quality and quality of ride, any input? Boths I.O's would be ordered with the 5.0 MPI. Looking at bowriders under 40k in the 20' range.

agallant80

Commander
Re: Im stuck on choices, need some input.

Yamaha owns the whole process (hull and motor). You look at stingray. I really liked mine and the build quality was pretty good.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yamaha owns the whole process (hull and motor). You look at stingray. I really liked mine and the build quality was pretty good.

Havent looked at Stingray yet

Chief9

Seaman

For the money you can get better build quality, heavier boats than Tahoe or stingray.

agallant80

Commander

My stingray 215LR with 4.3MPI and dual axel trailer was like $35K out the door. I think the 5.0 would add about 2K to the sticker.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

of the top 3 on your list I would go with the Glastron first then the Yamaha.

Glastron has a long heritage of building nice boats, can't say anything bad about them.

Yamaha, great manufacturer, of motorcycles, not really into jet boats so I never looked at the Yamaha's.

Tahoe has a history of pi$$ing new owners off, not sure I would want to test them at this point but I hear they are trying to fix things.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

You need to broaden your search. As said, you have many more choices for under $40K
Here are a few.
Monterey 204FS
Monterey 214 SS
Monterey 196 MS (new for 2014)
Four Winns H200 or H190
Ebbtide 202
Crownline 21SS
Rinker 216 BR
To name a few.......

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Have you considered a used craft? Good time of year to do so, and you could spend $30K and buy a well loved, slightly used, top shelf anything.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Found a new Larson lx225s for sale for 38k, MSRP is 48k. Canvas,merc 5.0 mpi,dual trailer, nice SS package. Trying to decide if I should pull hte trigger or still wait for the boat show.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Where are you?

For a majority of us the boating season is quickly coming to a close, in other words its probably your market so be patient.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ohio, so boating is pretty much done.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

OP, it seems like you are set on a new craft and certainly have the budget to do so. As others have said, you should broaden your search and certainly take your time given it is a good time of year to negotiate a good boat price.

You might also benefit from spending time looking at more boats in person so the comparisons, features, and your own preferences become clear. A boat show sounds like a great idea though be warned, you can get separated from your wallet quickly. How many of these craft have you seen in person? Water tested? What kind of boating activities and passenger needs are important to you?

agallant80

Commander

Found a new Larson lx225s for sale for 38k, MSRP is 48k. Canvas,merc 5.0 mpi,dual trailer, nice SS package. Trying to decide if I should pull hte trigger or still wait for the boat show.

From what I have seen the boat show deals are not super great. The only thing I have noticed is there are many finance companies at the show and the manafacture reps are there too. With that said when I tried buying a boat at a boat show through the manafactures rep I was still able to look around a bit and find a better deal on a different boat. Your call, if you like the boat and feel its a good deal I would pull the trigger so I could enjoy whats left of the season.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im not concerned about boating this season, we are into football and my 9 year old practices everyday for 2 hours with games taking up most of Saturdays. Ive seen all the ones I listed in person but im really only looking at the dealers I have locally and within my budget. I have owned IO's and OB boats before five total in various sizes all openbows. The only thing I have zero operating experience with is the Yamaha jet boats, Ive sat in them,love the layout, never operated one. I looked at used and to get the condition I want its a matter of paying 10-12k cash for something, or financing 25-30 used @5-7% or 35-40 new@ 3-4.5%. Personally Im set on getting new and keeping it till my youngest graduates. Nineteen foot seems to be my minimum and 24' my maximum. So far its the Larson and the Yamaha in the front running and Glastron in third.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Try Lodder's Marine in the spring. Look for a left over 2012 or 2013 Monterey. You will get boat show pricing, mfg. rebate and some $'s off because
it is a leftover they want to move. That is what I did at our dealer. Have bought all 4 of our boats in the early spring before ice out. Worked for us.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My stingray 215LR with 4.3MPI and dual axel trailer was like $35K out the door. I think the 5.0 would add about 2K to the sticker.

How did the V6 MPI do in the bigger stingray? Ever want more? or was it a good match?

Chief9

Seaman

I did the same with our Monty, bought it in late Feb and it was a 2012 model. Looked at stingray, but there was truly no comparison there.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I paid $29k for my nicely optioned Stingray 198LX with the 4.3L MPI (biggest motor for that model). Both my wife and I love the layout and features. With the "sport deck" design it feels really roomy for a 19'8" boat. It will also run 54-55 MPH GPS with a full tank of gas and a moderate load.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I only buy new (except for my collection of antiques) and have no particular money issues - I buy what I want and don't look back. In 1971 I saw a beauty at the Chicago Boat Show and had to have it. My local dealer was a personal friend with the company CEO and he arranged to have that very boat shipped home. I kept that boat for 14 years, until my family got bigger and outgrew the boat.

My current Stingray was bought at our local boat show and has served us well. So well, in fact that my son bought a Stingray too.

Every year I go to the boat show with the idea of buying a new boat. Haven't found one I liked better than the one I currently own, so every year we decide to keep the old one.

This year was our 30th season with our Stingray.........nuff said.

P6100263web.jpg

Last edited:

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Staring to look at higher end things and the girl is liking the Cobalt 200 or 220. Huge difference in those compared to the others I have been loking at. Question would be, would you take a Cobalt 200 bowrider from Sandusky bay to the islands??