1977 Mercury 850

tallcanadian

Captain
I purchased this outboard in the spring. It ran great and has been sitting on a stand since. I am slowly getting it back to better than original condition. I have a couple of before and during pictures. I'm hoping to have the after pics this weekend. The motor now has a fresh paint job and is waiting decals. I bought a new set from ebay. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get some yellow spark plug wires. My 1976 Merc 650 has yellow plug wires. I think it makes the engine pop. I will be adding some new parts over the winter and doing some engine cleaning. Has anyone ever made their own plug wires? Before During And now

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1977 Mercury 850

Tallcanadian, NAPA has a complete line of marine parts even though they don't advertise it. I am using them on my 1972 merc 1400, they work great and the kit is made for cut to fit, the kit has everything, the wires are stainless steel core and thats what you need to run on these older motors. While you are there ask for a book and you will have any part you need. There online website use to be excellent then some rocket scientist changed it and now it sucks. Buz

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You might try vintagemercs or oldmercs web sites. They have them for the older mercs. Do your wires screw into the coil? They have those listed a "Tiger Tails". They are avail at Crowleymarine web site for $21 each.

tallcanadian

Captain

I am looking for a part for my Merc. Where the shift and throttle cables go into the motor there is a, support or clamp like device that holds them into place. I can't find it on any parts site. Would anyone have a part number or know the correct part name for this...

tallcanadian

Captain

Well look at that. I guess the parts diagram doesn't show a good pic. Thanks Chris for the reply. It is very much appreciated.

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

no need to change wires if they are original and mice never got to them .they screw in at distrbutor cap don't pull them out

tallcanadian

Captain

No distributor cap on this motor. If they are original then they would be 36 years old. Time for a refresh. I'm going to replace a few parts over the winter, just because. Coils, wires, plugs, fuel pump, things like that. The last thing I want to be is out on the water and something silly breaks on me.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Wires are stranded stainless steel. Replace with same only.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not sure if your popping the powerhead off but if you do, be sure to replace the lower seals and o-ring while your in there.