Just bought a Force 50 has a few carb issues

Boatguy30

Cadet
I've owned dozens of outboards over the last 30 years and just bought my first Force today. I bought from a dealer in Palatka, FL "Big Boys Toys". Sold it to me "as is" because they said it was not even worth their time to demo it for anyone because no one wants a force. I do know a bit about them and that most honest mechanics are really pretty fond of them.

a few issues, got it running but

#1 no thermostat will be using mostly in warm water so not sure this is an issue

#2 bowl on carb leaks. Took the carb off and screw holding bowl threads are mostly stripped also the bowl is real thin and badly pitted. Seems like maybe a used carb off EBay is the best bet?

anyhow, seems to go pretty well. Will be using on a 1954 Crosby Fish n Ski. just removed twin 1973 Johnson 20s from it.
Looks to be pretty low hours. Dealer claims was compression tested at 135 even on both.

model #507X8C

Guess its a 1988

also wondering how bad they suck fuel?

cheers,
eff

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Just bought a Force 50 has a few carb issues

Yes, eBay will be your better source for a used carb although there was a time one forum member decided to re-thread the carb screw hole to next larger size but only because it's the hole that was stripped. But if it is only the screw that is stripped you can probably just replace it easier.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The thermostat was there for a reason.
Put it back.
Change the impeller.
The carb bowl, try flipping the gasket over and see if it seals better?
Or buy a new one.
The bowl and gasket is still available.F10127 boats . net (hate them)
Do another comp test before you spend another dime.
Dealers have "salesmen" working for them.That species has been known to LIE!!
The gas usage is usually not too bad.
If you run it hard it's gonna hurt.
Just make sure the right prop is on the boat.
Go for a ride and check the rpm's.
You should be running about 52-5500 at wot.

Boatguy30

Cadet

They sold me the motor for $300 since they just wanted to get rid of it. I guess they did check it over several months ago when they repowered the boat it came off of.

I'll do another comp check, but like I say it starts easy and runs really nice.

Anyway, checked the drawings and the spring under the nozzle and the inside gasket around the screw are also missing. I had hoped to get it out this weekend as a handout bowl gasket did stop most the leak. Maybe a short ride with the kids. Need to look into that towing insurance!

Was thinking of a helicoil on the carb, but will take my chances on a used one as is only a bit more than a new bowl.

thanks

Boatguy30

Cadet

Called around this morning, no one wants to hear from someone looking for Force parts although some seemed sympathetic. Fingers crossed on an eBay deal, but will miss the weekend. Going to try a large hose clamp around the entire carb to see if that helps compress the gasket. As long as the nozzle doesn't drop down if guess w/ no spring.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I think??? The spring wasn't included in all the carbs for the Forces?
My twins,one has the spring in one set of carbs, the other not?
Where you located? Profile?
You might be close to someone who can help?

Boatguy30

Cadet

The ********** schematic shows a spring. I've ordered Yamaha, OMC, Homda and Tohatsu parts from them in the last with no major issues.

I did the hose clamp and it only drips a small drop every few minutes. Out about 3 hours on it yesterday. I'm in St Augustine and going to tak it for a run on the river by Green Cove Springs today.

Overall, the boat is fun but I'm not really a powerboater so may put it up for sale. Should be easier to sell with a nice running motor.

Boatguy30

Cadet

Wouldn't let me post that parts place you love so much! auto blanked it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Competition.
I didn't have trouble a long time ago.
Then they got too big and couldn't handle the growth.
Ordered some parts for a Nissan.
They said oh yea, we have all the parts in stock"NOT.
They didn't have a pump housing.So they back ordered it.
Didn't bother to send me anything or even contact me and tell me about the B/O
NOTHING, I was waiting about a week and didn't hear anything. I called and they said the parts were in.NOT
Again no communication,no follow up or follow through,NOTHING.
After a month of being jerked around, I talked to a stupervisor, he said the order couldn't be completed and I should buy someplace else.
The next day I get all the parts except the pump housing??
Then things got worse!!
New computer system, new employees, evidently no training either.
If one person had called and said hey there is a problem with your order,I'd be happy.NOT!!
You call and they put you in a holding pattern and you have NO idea how long you might wait.
If they said, you are # 5 or 26 in line I'd understand.NOTHING and they make you wait 10 min before they put you in limbo.
See why I hate them.:(