Can't start after replacing fuel filters and lines

jdamron

Seaman
Hello, I have a Force 120 that I think from previous posts is a 1995 model. This is something I purchased recently and am in the process of going over and trying to make it useable. I have not used it much yet, but the last several times I have tried to start it it would start right up. And last weekend I ran it for about 45 minutes on a local lake and it seemed to run very well in middle throttle and also at WOT for half and hour or so. (it does not want to keep running at idle or low throttle but at middle to full open throttle the engine seems smooth and strong) But then after half and hour or so it started surging at WOT and seemed to me like perhaps a fuel issue. So to rule out a clogged filter today I finished replacing the Water/Fuel separator and the inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carburetors. I also replaced a lot of the fuel lines connected to those filters since the were stiff and starting to come apart. And I replaced the fuel bulb. Anyway, after doing that I tried to start it up to check for leaks and now I cannot get it to start. :grumpy: I used the bulb to pump into the system and I tried several times and repeated. The engine turns over but will not run. I was wondering if there are any tricks after replacing fuel lines to get fuel into the system again on these engines or if anyone has had similar experiences or ideas.

By the way, I dumped the old fuel/water separator contents into a clear container (idea from other posts) and allowed to settle and I do not see any water in the fuel, but there is some rusty looking debris that the filter trapped. I am not sure if this is a normal amount of debris to be captured by filter (I do not know when it was last changed) or even if this is related to my surging and now starting problems but I thought I would attach picture since this is what I was doing before the starting problem.

View attachment 209967View attachment 209968

Thanks in advance.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Can't start after replacing fuel filters and lines

Disintegrating fuel lines leads one to believe some of that stuff got into the carbs. A cleaning is in order. Also at 18 yrs. you're well past due for a fuel pump diaphram.

Jiggz

Captain

For some reasons, I did not read about cleaning the primary fuel filter installed with the fuel pump. As for not starting after replacing fuel lines and filters, it could just be a coincidence but you need to go back to the basic, i.e. spark, gas and compression. Make sure you did not accidentally activated the kill switch which will prevent the engine from running due to lack of spark.

jdamron

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. I do not have a kill switch (at least I don't think I have one). But I guess it is possible I caused a loose connection or something while replacing the fuel lines. I will test for spark today to make sure that is okay.

Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You following the right starting procedures?
Squeezie the gas, fast idle set up?
Then turn key and push in and hold while turning over?
It won't work(enricher/choke) unless the key stays pushed in?
Sometimes a quick shot of starting fluid will help.
Try not to use too much as it will remove the oil from the cylinders.
Jiggz says basics? Spark,compression, check for timing?
TDC and top plug? Manual?
Depending on the "boat" it might have a kill switch?
Worked with a HUGE guy who kept knocking the kill switch loose with his knee,
not off just loose enough so it wouldn't make contact and keep running?

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Do you know your bulb is pushing fuel to prime/purge Etc.? Such as, you can see the fuel moving in the separator, filter and signs at the carbs (and good hard bulb)?

2. Check X O-Ring seals at quick couplings, tanks pick-up tubs and tanks conditions if applies.

jdamron

Seaman

Thanks again everyone for the replies and helpful information. Sorry it took me a while to get back with the results but I have been busy the last several days with other things. It turned out that I was not invoking the choke correctly. :facepalm: I read the starting procedure step from jerryjerry05 "Then turn key and push in and hold while turning over" and realized I was not doing that correctly. I was just pushing in the key and holding a few seconds and then turning the key without pushing in. But as soon as I tried holding the key pushed in while turning it started right up!

I will probably be rebuilding the fuel pump or figuring out how to flush/clean the gas tank next. (I am concerned about all the debris I found in the fuel/water separator filter) I will do a new thread if I have questions about those tasks since the starting problem is now resolved.

Thanks again - your replies above were very helpful!