First big trip - any pointers?

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I purchased the 28' Cabrio 280 late last fall, and this is my first summer really using it. This weekend will be my first real trip on the boat, a ~50 mile cruise up the bay. I've got a slip reserved for the next three days at a nice Marina, and will be going with two other family members. I feel like I've prepaired rather well, but I just wanted to quick ask if there is anything I should consider or see if anyone had any pointers for a weekend trip like this.

thanks!

agallant80

Commander
Re: First big trip - any pointers?

I remember the first trip in my cruiser when I got her, it was st patrics day of this year. Go slow, dock even slower, take your time. I wanted to rush the trip because I was worried about something going wrong, nothing happened. If something does happen take your time to figure out what went wrong and address it properly. I got stuck on a sand bar and decided to gun it off at WOT months later I am still cleaning out my engine.

Have your lines ready when you dock.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

'heh. Thanks. ...I did the same thing (got stuck, tried to WOT it out) last weekend :-X . Agreed to the take it slow and never panic.

Thanks!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Have useful phone numbers/VHF channels at hand ahead of time, like: boat towing, harbor master, marine mechanic, parts store, taxi, restaurants, etc. If you will be leaving the slip and returning to it, bring extra dock lines and fenders that you can leave in the slip while you are gone. Bring books to read and/or little boat projects to do while killing time. Have enough food and beverages to share with your slip mates; nothing breaks the ice better than offering some refreshments. Have two boat hooks on board. Make sure you turn your VHF down to low power when hailing nearby, no need to blast the airwaves for a 1/2 mile call. If you have a chart plotter, plot the route ahead of time with waypoints selected with enough granularity to keep you in the channel on the displayed rhumb line. Check with NOAA for chart updates Chart Updates (LNM and NM Corr'ns) and mark your charts with the new info before you go. Don't make anyone feel guilty about using the head. Bring extra prescription eye wear.

Last edited:

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have your chart/gps ready. Slow and steady.

Where are you going? Sturgeon Bay?

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have your chart/gps ready. Slow and steady.

Where are you going? Sturgeon Bay?

I've got laminated charts of the bay and Door-Co, and the course marked on the GPS. We're doing the long-haul up to Fish Creek. The plan was to leave Friday but the weather looks questionable, so that's got me feeling a bit uneasy too..

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got laminated charts of the bay and Door-Co, and the course marked on the GPS. We're doing the long-haul up to Fish Creek. The plan was to leave Friday but the weather looks questionable, so that's got me feeling a bit uneasy too..

Should have left today. Have some friends from the yacht club that headed to Menominee. Said the water was like glass.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

You have a heavy 28' boat. Put on your big boy pants, go slow, have fun, don't worry. That boat can handle the bay easily...

Should have left today. Have some friends from the yacht club that headed to Menominee. Said the water was like glass.