Advice sought shift cable replacement 2009 SX-A transom routing?

Lynall

Seaman Apprentice
Sterndrive cable has gone real stiff in reverse, and as i had the sterndrive off a few weeks ago for bellows etc im assuming i have damaged the cable, im also kicking myself for not replacing the cable whils is was there!
So need to fit a new one, the cable end is easy enough, what i would like to know is how does it come through the transom plate?

Thank you
Lynall

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Advice sought shift cable replacement 2009 SX-A transom routing?

It goes into a hose which passes through the transom and finishes inside and above the waterline. Just trace it from the helm to the engine compartment and all will be obvious. Oops just spotted the SX-A, but not sure now it might be different as I was thinking of the earlier SX drive.

Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Diver you are correct, it's the same for an SX-A.

Lynall if you trace the cable from the control back to the engine compartment, you'll see that it enters a black rubber tube. This tube travels down and out the transom. The end of this tube stays above the water line which keeps it from leaking water into the bilge. Turn the drive full port and you'll have access to the drive-side end of the tube. No need to remove the drive to change the cable.

Here's how I did mine: Disconnect the cable on both ends. Begin pulling the cable out from the transom side. When the control end of the cable gets near the rubber tube, I taped a nylon string (shoelace in my case, worked well) to it and the new cable. Then continue removing the cable. Once the cable is fully removed from the boat, you will now have your new cable ready to pull through the rubber tube with the nylon string (which will be hanging out the transom end of the tube). I also like spreading some hand lotion on cables as I route them thru rubber, it helps them slide and not bind. Once you get it through, route the rest up to the control and connect/adjust to the drive and control.

I think you'll really like a new cable it helped my shifting a ton. I used Teleflex Xtreme cables. If you haven't bought a new cable yet, you'll see a code printed on your current cable...the last 2 digits is the length. That's what you'll need when ordering a new one.

Lynall

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you both so much, thats top news, best of all i can beach it and change it without an expensive lift out,
Lift out here is 180gbp which i think is roughly 250 dollars a lot of money for a cable change!
Top tip about the last two digits being the cable length, that alone will save me a weekends messing around.

Lynall

Lynall

Seaman Apprentice

Well guys ive had a look today took me ages to suss the hose but when i saw it, it was obvious!
Stripped loads of crap out to get at the cable, got the part number volvo 1140187, so according to the last two numbers being the length it should be 8.7 meters long?
Thats way longer than the cable from what i can see of it, i would guess 6 meters at the most. possibly less.
Think i may just order a genuine volvo one, im sure more expensive but at least its going to fit.
Weird thing is once all stripped down and trying to suss out the throttle lever end i gave it a try and its now working fine?

Lynall

Lynall

Seaman Apprentice

Bought new cable today, the old number has been superceded to 21633488 and its 5 metres long.

Lynall