9.9/15 Top Mount

Yooks

Cadet
Hi there. I've been rehabbing a 1976 Evinrude 9.9 and I have a question for you fine folks.

Here is a link to refer to the parts I'll be discussing:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1976&hp=9.9&model=10624H&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Exhaust+Housing

The upper mount assemblies on this engine were gone (no rubber left). So I purchased a new pair of Upper Mount Assemblies (#5) and a new upper thrust mount (#41). These appear to be exact reproductions of the original. However, when I reassembled, there was a gap between the upper thrust mount (#41) and the Upper Mounts Link (#50).

My concern here is that load would not be transmitted to the thrust mount (#41), but would instead be taken up by the upper mount assemblies (#5). These upper mount assemblies are designed for lateral loads, so I'm worried they would eventually break down. This suspicion is supported by the following thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/9-9-15hp-top-mount-issues-576908.html

The Upper Mount Link on my 1976 is just a flat plate of stainless. It looks just like the picture in the diagram. Based on the suggestion make by Haffiman in the thread above, I researched and found an Upper Thrust Mount that is larger than the original, with two holes in it. It looks like this:

Evinrude Johnson OMC 0338631 - Mount, Thrust Uppr @ MarineEngine.com

Also based on Haffiman's recommendation, I purchased the corresponding Upper Mount Link. Rather than just a flat plate, this one looks a bit like a bow tie in reverse with the ends bent slightly (presumably to accept the larger upper thrust mount).

Evinrude Johnson OMC 0329047 : Part Replaced By 0339613 @ MarineEngine.com

Upon reassembling the whole thing with the new equipment, I found that there was still a gap between the new Upper Thrust Mount and the new Upper Mount Link. So it appears that this didn't solve my problem (if I do, indeed have a problem) after all.

It appears that if I were to use the old, flat, Upper Mount Link and the new, larger Upper Thrust Mount, that there would not be a gap. Is this what I should do? Or should I just leave the assembly with an air gap in between the new Upper Thrust mount and the new Upper Mount Link?

Thanks in advance!

-Jonathan

Last edited:

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 9.9/15 Top Mount

I just did this repair on my 1974 9.9 Envinrude a short while ago. I used the instructions from LeeRoys Ramblings. the rubber in the upper thrust mounts (#5) was rotted away and the rubber block (#41) was non existent. I replaced the bellows (#51) as they were puking sludge While I was in there gave everything a good cleaning and a new water pump and housing. The exhaust housing gasket (#38) and of course (#106)

Maintaining Johnson 9.9 Powerhead/Gearcase

HTH.

Last edited: