About what year did 4 Stroke Outboards start becoming more common?

Techtraveler

Seaman Apprentice
I am on the hunt for a used boat, and would prefer a 4 Stroke Outboard if possible. Not sure my budget will get me one, but I'm going to try anyway. Wondering around what year this became more standard.

TT

scipper77

Commander
Re: About what year did 4 Stroke Outboards start becoming more common?

Short of a real answer I'd say the big push towards 4 strokes happened within the last 10 years. I feel like in the 90's and into the 2000's the 2 strokes with fancy oil injections that bring the mix above 100/1 were all the rage. I'm not talking about mixing pumps, I'm talking systems where oil is strategically injected. I personally have been turned into a crotchety old man who harps on new technology. I'll take a two stroke from the 80's or older and pre mix the fuel. I just can't stomach the price of newer outboards, and I know how to fix them (older ones).

For a larger craft however I am all for the economy of a four stroke. Of course when you factor in the value of the motor it would take a while for the fuel savings to balance out the cost of the motor.

Techtraveler

Seaman Apprentice

Well I will be looking at smaller motors, probably under 100HP even as low as 50 possibly. So I guess it is fair to say I will get more for my money in a 2 stroke then 4? This is important with my low budget of 5k or less and high wants...actually my wants are not that high other then newer. Really do not want anything older 2003.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I have a '99 merc 50 4 stroke. first year I think. still runs great.

Last edited:

scipper77

Commander

Well I will be looking at smaller motors, probably under 100HP even as low as 50 possibly. So I guess it is fair to say I will get more for my money in a 2 stroke then 4? This is important with my low budget of 5k or less and high wants...actually my wants are not that high other then newer. Really do not want anything older 2003.

No, you will not really get that much more for your money. Newer 2 strokes are pricey as well. Anything 2003 or newer I would actually look at either type of motor the same. If you want a 4 stroke then get what you want, you are after all the one who uses your boat.

Techtraveler

Seaman Apprentice

No, you will not really get that much more for your money. Newer 2 strokes are pricey as well. Anything 2003 or newer I would actually look at either type of motor the same. If you want a 4 stroke then get what you want, you are after all the one who uses your boat.
So far the supply of used boats I have been looking at mainly have had 2 strokes, but I'm looking and trying to have patience.

TT

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Depends on what you classify as more.....you may get"more" when you buy, but you will certainly get "less" whenyou sell.
I don’t know about NE Florida, locally you can’t give a 2stroke away and their value has dropped dramatically over the past 5-7 years. The result of injected 2 stroke growing pains and the 4 stroke’s 25-30% overall reduction in fuel usage over a comparable carbureted 2 stroke. The 4 stroke has proved to be reliable and is very tolerate of fuel issues. Something 2 strokes have struggled with since theirinception.

Lots of 4 strokes with a 2000+ hours still running strong. The same can’t be said for their 2 stroke cousins.

Last edited: