merc 3.0L tuneup

lewski

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, could someone tell me what I need to do to give my 3.0L merc inboard ..outboard a complete tuneup. It is a 2000 carburated engine.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: merc 3.0L tuneup

Ayuh,.... Got the Serial number,..??

Which ignition has it got,..??

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: merc 3.0L tuneup

Hi, could someone tell me what I need to do to give my 3.0L merc inboard ..outboard a complete tuneup. It is a 2000 carburated engine.

For a 'tune-up', just change the spark plugs, set the timing, then set the idle speed and mixture... That's a tune-up... If you want to do a full service, that a different story...

Need your engine serial number and the type of ignition system to give full details.

At 2000 it's unlikely to be points, so ignore any reference to points in the following list....

For the engine...

Warm the engine up and then, Drain the engine oil and remove the filter. Fit a new filter and fill the crankcase with the oil of your choice (NOT getting involved in that one!!!)
Then....
1. Compression tests.
2. Check spark plugs, replace if needed.
3. If points, replace, along with condenser and rotor. Check and adjust, if needed, points cam dwell angle.
4. Inspect distributor cap, rotor and leads, replace if necessary.
5. Check spark quality (needs to be a nice BLUE spark drawn over 1/2").
6. Set timing. Check timing advance is working correctly.
7. Check/change fuel filters.
8. Remove exhaust elbow(s) and check condition.

For the drive...
remove the drive (complete)
set on a bench and start draining the oil.
while it's draining...
1. Check gimbal bearing.
2. THOROUGHLY check uni bellows and shift cable bellows.
3. Check engine alignment.
4. Where applicable, grease hinge pins, swivel shafts, gimbal bearing.

On the drive.
1. Split drive and service seawater pump.
2. Re-assemble drive. Pressure and vacuum test.
3. Refill drive with High Performance Gear Lube.
4. Fit drive back to boat and test run to ensure gears and throttle select correctly.

This is NOT an exhaustive list, it's a basic outline that I follow whenever I service any stern drive power package.... There are other 'engine package specific' maintenance items, outlined in your owners' handbook... I also quiz the owner about any specific items or issues he/she has been having, and deal with those too....

Chris......

Last edited: