Right amount of fuel

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Okay so first off I want to say I am not complaining or anything. The engine runs great no problem and the boat reaches the hull's max speed due to being about 2x the max HP. I normally run with a very heavy load. Less than 50kg off max weight.
I have a 1977 Mercury 50 HP Outboard engine and I burn ... 3 gallons an hour at WOT. This should not be normal if I am correct?

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Right amount of fuel

Rule of thumb-WOT one gallon per hour per 10hp. 50hp = 5 gals. per hour at WOT. I'd say you are doing abnormally well.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

That is the rule I have always gone by so that is what prompted me to bring it up. Loving the extra money I save.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm gonna say you aren't making 50 hp.

you need to do a link n synch... you may not be reaching full throttle

Last edited:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

Smokeonthethewater that was my first though and I had had my uncle do it for me. I am getting 45.2 HP by today way of measuring. Would be the full 50 if we measured the old way.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I am getting 45.2 HP by today way of measuring.

How do you know? did you put it on a dyno?

Have you actually run wot for an hour and then filled back up?

How many rpm are you running at wot?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I have a 1977 Mercury 50 HP Outboard engine and I burn ... 3 gallons an hour at WOT. This should not be normal if I am correct?

Imperial or US gallon? Canadian gallons are 20% larger! 3 imperial gallons = 3.6 US gallons. Still under the 'norm' but close enough. How are your RPM's? If you aren't hitting full rated RPM's you won't hit full fuel consumption either, as the amount of air going through a carb can dictate fuel flow to some extent.

Last edited: