Over-pressure Fuel Pump Failure

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice
1992 Volvo 431B w/DP-C with 1 year old Volvo brand replacement electric fuel pump. Anyone ever hear of an electric fuel pump failing in an over-presure mode? Mechanic said pump was putting out 12 psi which is twice what it should, causing the carb to spew gas all over everything. This engine is on it's 4th fuel pump now since I've owned it (2.5 years)! This pump ran the longest, maybe 70 hours. Been using Volvo brand fuel filters inline with fuel tank. Tank had new pickup tube and anti-syphon valve put in at the time this fuel pump was installed. Is this just a strange coincidence or is debris from the tank somehow getting thru the filter and causing fuel pump failure? A new filter was installed this season prior to use.

Thanks for responding.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Over-pressure Fuel Pump Failure

Is the alternator putting out steady regulated voltage?

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Over-pressure Fuel Pump Failure

Is the alternator putting out steady regulated voltage?

Good question! I would say yes. A new 50 amp alternator was put in shortly after I bought it (~2 yrs.). Voltage as shown by instrument panel meter looks solid and behaves as it should, charging when the batteries(s) have been drawn down and rock solid otherwise. I will put my digital volt meter on it though next time I fire it up just to be sure.

Thanks