1972 1400 timing settings help which is correct

stevebassplayer

Recruit
I pulled my Distributor because it was assembled incorrectly ( spring pin in incorrect location ) . Now I cant get it too start . My serial number on my motor is 3424159 one book says set first timing at 5 degrees Btdc another says - 2 degrees BTDC and another says .464" Now I am really confused and I tried all 3 still cant get it too start. It has spark and is getting fuel. Now I am really scratching my head I am posting a couple pages from one manual I have . Any help greatly appreciated before I call A Boat Mechanic . thanks SteveMANUAL.jpgMANUAL2.jpg

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 1400 timing settings help which is correct

The .464 thing is confusing. All it's for is aligning you flywheel and your timing gear. If your flywheel can only be installed one way then it doesn't matter. Can you confirm?

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 1400 timing settings help which is correct

Steve, as I mentioned in your last post, go on to you tube and punch in -- mercury outboard timing-- then go down to -- How to link + sync mercury 1150 inline 6-- (same as your motor except the timing tape) By Cturboaddick and is 9min long. You can see clearly all the positions of the dist which helped me a lot as I also have the same motor as yours. What is nice that you don't have to run the motor for the timing, I know running the motor is best but this will get you in the ball park at least to get it running and then you can go from there. Buz