Pontoon, Runabout or Deck Boat?

Mike D.

Cadet
Hi, I am new to boating and this forum so I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. My wife and I just purchased a lake front home and naturally we want to have a boat. Our original thought was to buy a 24' pontoon (lots of family) and a small runabout until I discovered the DeckBoat. It appears as though this would serve dual purpose with one purchase. Again being a novice boater, I have been lookig at 23' boats for starters (Used Chris Craft Sport deck 230 for instance) and would like readers opinion on size and manufacturer (as well as engine type/HP). The house comes with two docks, one of which has a boat hoist. The boat would be used primarily for crusing, but I'm sure some family members will want to go tubing and skiing. I don't want to overbuy, but I dont want to underbuy either. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...
Mike D.

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pontoon, Runabout or Deck Boat?

Welcome aboard Mike D. You will enjoy your experience on this forum. This is a personal preference for you, however please describe lots of family. I love all of your choices but if you say lots of family then I would recommend a Pontoon as it will give you more space then a deck boat. What size lake? I also highly recommend you checking out your lake rules.Many lakes have restrictions. For example my lake allows up to 28 feet in a pontoon but only 20 feet in a runabout or deck boat. If water sports are important I would suggest a Tri-toon with a 150hp. Size?? Well I might recommend 26ft. These are all personal opinions so it is something for you to decide. Water sports are always better on any boat other than a Pontoon but it can work and be fun. I had the same decision to make 5 years ago and I am glad I made the Pontoon decision....just wished I had purchased the Tri-Toon as they have a much better turning radius. Good luck and welcome again. :)

southkogs

Staff member

Chris makes a great boat. But there are other good ones too (Chaparral, Four Winns and a couple of others made/make deck boats too). When it get's into used boats condition will always trump brand though. I looked at deck boats several years ago, and if I'd found the right one I would have gone with it.

A "hot-rod" pontoon would do you for some tubing, but wouldn't be a good boat for skiing.

You could also go the two boat route - getcha' a nice pontoon for the cruising party barge and then look for a smaller outboard pulling boat (16' or so with a 70HP or better).

Take some time (and the family) and visit a couple of dealers and crawl around pontoons, bow riders, deck boats and whatever else ya' find. You may learn something about the boat layouts that you like or don't like. Then you can shop a little more specifically.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

It kind of depends on what you want to do on the water.

Around here a lot of folks with two slips get a boat for watersports and a pontoon. The pontoon is great for cruising with lots of people, and the outboard motor allows you to use the boat year round (no real winterizing needed on an outboard). The ski/wakeboard boat also gives you much better performance for watersports than a deck boat.

The deckboat is a good option if you only want one boat, but it will not perform as well as a dedicated ski boat and will not haul as many people as the pontoon. A 23'er will also limit you to an I/O, which means winterization and no boating in the winter.

I went with a smaller (19') Hurricane deckboat with an OB. it performs OK for watersports, seats up to 10, and is usable all year. But I only have one slip :grumpy:.

Congrats on the lakehouse!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'd have to echo what Malibu Rudder said. I think lake size will have a major bearing on choice. A 500 acre or smaller lake becomes boring quickly with a high performance boat. Think about it like this, when it only takes 10-15 minutes to make a lap around the lake how many times do you want to go around. Then add in a crowded weekend. On our lake during high summer, on the south end there is a sandbar which by noon has boats lined up shore to shore. Everyone anchored, off the boats and in the water swimming.

Mike D.

Cadet

Thanks so much for the replies! To answer a few of your questions, the lake we will be living on is approx. 250 acres and is an all sports and fishing man made lake. Our new home is situated in one of the many 'no wake' coves with entrance to the main approx. 1/4 mile. No hard fast rules on size of watercraft although there is a (4) craft limit/100 ft of lakefront(we are at 95'). Family: (15) grandkids + (6) children and their spouses so I am sure the younger kids would love to go tubing while some of the older (adult) kids would like to wakeboard/ski. Hope that helps ...
Mike D.