1994 Mercury 40 HP, 8.70 V at dash, 12 V. at motor

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice
Started boat (Suntracker Pontoon) to the sound of beeping about one second apart. Like a reverse warning horn on a truck. Should be an oil warning, oil is full, but that's not my major concern. I should be able to figure that out later by checking the switch. I mentioned it in case it could somehow be related to my bigger problem.

I turned it off and restarted it a few times to see if the warning would stop which it didn't. Then the instruments went dead intermittently a couple times with the key on before everything at the dash went dead completely. Now boat won't start.

Thought I may have had raccoons behind the dash tear something up since raccoons like my boat. Didn't see any noticeable damage. I bypassed the neutral safety switch and the lanyard switch which made no difference. So I pulled the ignition switch to test it. Haven't been able to find a problem with ignition, so I checked the plug to the ignition from the motor and instead of finding 12 + V, I could only get 8.70 V.

I didn't check the battery itself, but hooked a start switch to the solenoid and it will turn over strong and I can run the trim up at the motor, so I know I have battery voltage. Had to give up for the day at that point since I'd already been baking my Dad in the heat at the dock for several hours. All work has to be done at my slip.

Any ideas on where I could be losing voltage between the motor and the dash? I'm leaning towards the Rectifier/Regulator, but could be way off base.

Thank you!