Repairing Hull Scratches -- How to?

surfduke

Seaman
Hi All.... I have a 17.5' Seaswirl center console. It's a great boat but has a few scratches on the fiberglass hull(you know the ones you get from rocks and little misjudgements, nothing major. One is about a 1/4" x 1/4" ding. I can see the fiberglass, but it's not leaking. Mainly just looks like the top coat of gel of off. What is the best method to fix this. I can't really afford a professional repair shop.<br /><br />What product do I use? And what steps do I take.<br /><br />Thanks for the help all. This forum is the BEST!!!

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Repairing Hull Scratches -- How to?

I would sand the edges out a bit, and then fill the chip with some Epifill (made by International), it's a two part epoxy bog specially made for filling scratches and gouges in fibreglass. It's also really thick, so it won't fall out of the area being repaired even if it is upside down. Then just touch up with some paint to match the surrounding area.

surfduke

Seaman

I couldn't find EPIFILL anywhere at the local shops, but they assured me that Marine Tex was great stuff, so i used that. It's a little tricky trying to work upside down, but I got most of the scrapes filled. One thing that really helped make the job easier -- After filling the scratches and gouges, I came back to the areas I applied the Marine Tex to after about and hour and used some water on my fingers and smoothed out the patches. That worked really good. It cut down on a bunch of sanding and it looks much nicer.<br /><br />Thanks for the help!

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maybe fill and repair them with a bit off gel-coat...