I screwed up with oil mixtures.

Perry558

Recruit
This is quite embarrassing for me to admit. I don't know if it had to do with how busy it was at the pumps when I filled up or what, but it just dawned on me that the last time I used my boat engine I only used half of the amount of oil I should have used. I seems like I ran my engine at 100:1 last weekend for two days and burned about 30L of fuel. I have a Johnson 45 from the mid 90's. The engine ran perfectly last time I used it and i had no trouble, but now I'm super worried. How much damage have I done to my engine?

matt167

Captain
Re: I screwed up with oil mixtures.

Nah, you just cleaned it out a little bit.. 50:1 gives a little extra lubrication for safety if you mix lean once in a while. Just don't make it a habbit

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had an engine which ran fine at 100:1, but seized up in storage.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Compression test will tell all.....

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I believe the problem OMC had with 100:1, when they tried it in the late 80s, was corrosion during longer term storage. So I doubt you did any damage to the motor but as matt said, don't make it a habit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Storage was the problem with the 100:1 mix. The mtr will run all day on it and no harm. But if you didn't fog it out when stored, that's when the problems started.