are tarps obsolete? what type cover?

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class
so with my last boat, i went to a big box store, and was able to pic up a very thick tarp at a decent price to cover when not using it (on trailer in driveway). At least 15mil as i feel it now.

So i picked up a 17ft premiere pontoon last week and it did come with a nice thick attwood canvas cover (generic) but has its fair share of holes and worn down spots, and even if new i doubt the thing is waterproof, but rather water "resistant". The cover is quite thick, unlike the generic pontoon covers at walmart and menards, etc... I like to keep my boats covered because i've seen boats that sit uncovered and its rediculous.

I can't find anything thicker than 5 or 10mil at walmart or menards in a poly tarp, and online they cost hundreds for 8oz (16mil). I don't have $1,050 for the local boat cover place to make me a cover, and I don't want to spend 300 on a generic boat cover online if its not waterproof which would mean i would have to throw a $200 tarp over it anyways.....

Can someone help me out here. I'd like to stay around 50 for a thick tarp or 250 for a cover if possible (if its waterproof and don't need a tarp too.) I figure the tarp would have to be 15x25 to cover everything....

This isn't for trailering, just waterproof for driveway. I will try and build a lean-to off my garage but I have to call my bldg inspector to see what I can do...

Last edited:

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: are tarps obsolete? what type cover?

Not sure where you are located but Menards does have boat covers, and they list a Pontoon cover that will fit a 17' boat.. $109 and your local Menards probably has it.. 300 Denier Poly Pontoon Cover Model A at Menards

I stopped at menards today and they had it in stock. I believe it said water resistant (which to me means NOT waterproof), and the fabric felt like t-shirt material. I can't see that lasting more than one season. I found this but may try to make these brackets myself, or another system a member recommended once i can get a visual aide...

Pontoon Boat Standard Arch Cover Support System 4 Sets Best Seller | eBay

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I do have a custom cover, but I often work on mine over the winter. So I do this and it works out fine. its a 6 foot tall ridge pole.

frame.JPG
inside 5.JPG

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats a huge tarp. Is it pretty thick? how many MILs thick?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I get a new one ever year from harbor freight and if I remember right its a 24 x 32 and one of the 4 mil weather resistant ones. Due to the big amount of slope on the sides snow and rain wasn't any problem at all and no leaks. We get mostly a lot of rain and if it dose not pool its normally no problem, lol and it wont pool on that and if I remember right the tarp was in the 30 to 40 dollar range.

I only use that set up around 3 mouths when the boat is home and not on the slip. the rest of the time it looks like this.

slip 1.jpg

Last edited:

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I built a pvc frame that just sits on the rails and has an "A" frame similar to Hawkers ^^^^, however I made mine so the tarp attaches to the frame only, that way when we go to the lake I just take about a minute and the whole thing comes off as one unit, and back on just as fast. The 1/2" pvc ran about $20, and the 12X24 (silver)tarp that is 10 mills ran less than $30 on Amazon. It has worked the last several years for me, and I am on the same tarp. I keep it tight and it has good drainage. There is room to move around underneath but not stand up, and I can leave the front and back open so when we get home from the lake, I can air it out, or add a fan if it really needs it.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

I built a pvc frame that just sits on the rails and has an "A" frame similar to Hawkers ^^^^, however I made mine so the tarp attaches to the frame only, that way when we go to the lake I just take about a minute and the whole thing comes off as one unit, and back on just as fast. The 1/2" pvc ran about $20, and the 12X24 (silver)tarp that is 10 mills ran less than $30 on Amazon. It has worked the last several years for me, and I am on the same tarp. I keep it tight and it has good drainage. There is room to move around underneath but not stand up, and I can leave the front and back open so when we get home from the lake, I can air it out, or add a fan if it really needs it.

Sounds like a cool setup. Do you have any pics?

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMHO, screw those canvas covers. They're expensive, short lived, a PIA to put on and a PIA if you have to get into the boat for whatever reason. Plus they don't protect it well, letting in rains and the playpen/platforms are uncovered letting in water and soaking things. F-that. Water rins down your railings, onto the floor and right onto the carpet, even into the boat.

I made my own system which is way better, EASY to put up, EASY to get into/walk under and it covers everything, stem to stern, all platforms and motor, and even the playpen railings down to midtoon. no water gets in at all, not even under the railings or from the platforms and the railings aren't getting sunbleached.

I took 1.5 inch PVC pipe and made three stands, square base w/three legged uprights each ( two short ones bolted thru the longer one at mid-ish point ) just slightly over 6 ft tall. I can easily lift the cover by the motor and walk under it.

The longer legs have "t " tops into which I insert more PVC pipe for ridge poles. Over it I place a heavy duty tarp, bungee that down and it's all good to go, tight, rain and wind proof. We flip " roll " it in from both ends towards the middle then toss it overboard to remove it. It goes up really easy, esp compared to canvas covers.

It works friggin awesome ! Plus it is so friggin easy to get into it's ridiculous. Unbungee a cord by the motor and climb right in and walk about standing up!, Yep standing up. Full easy access to the whole boat.

On the sunnyside, I place fat pool noodles between the tarp and seat tops to keep the tarp off of the cushions (my boat has fat overstuffed cushions) I do this to keep the sun from making them hot. If you've ever felt your cushions on a sunny day(and your cover is against them) they will be H O T. I didn't say warm, I said hot, which bakes them, aging them prematurely.

Including the tarp, I have around $200 dollars in it. It protects way better than the canvas covers and this winter the snow will slide right off.

I think it would easily shed most hail, given it's steep angle and thick tarp. If the hail did damage the tarp, it's only $80 for a new vs $1000 or so for a custom canvas. I would just buy two tarps to have one on hand in the event you needed it.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

melaque

Cadet

Google 'Navigloo' . Great system for seasonal storage of your 'toon. Tarp supplied looks like it's going to last about 4/5 seasons with
some care. Good quality pieces ...like a big plastic Erector set. Can stand up inside for minor interior projects.