question about Starcraft Holiday boats

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
were the bows of the Holidays designed to support walking on?? I thought I saw a few examples of those boats with what looked like a wood planking down the middle of the bow....as if it was a walking platform. I just picked one up and inclined to leave the bow in place if you can walk on it......thanks...bob

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: question about Starcraft Holiday boats

To some extent yes. There is wood bracing underneath. However,I would not do an irish jig on it though.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't think it's a walkway, per se. My 18' Holiday has vinyl stick-on planks on the bow :facepalm:

The wood support structure under the bow cover looks like it might have been intended to support someone walking on it, but just like tgp's, some of the support ribs are cracked. Too big a guy walking on it may be?

If the ribs aren't cracked, beef them up & walk on bob, walk on :)

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

To some extent yes. There is wood bracing underneath. However,I would not do an irish jig on it though.

but can Miley Cyrus twerk on it?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I weigh in at about 235 lbs and kneel on my 21' Holiday's deck regularly. In the winter, with safety boots and parka on, I get on it to push snow off the fabric shelter that protects it during the winter. I figure I load the deck another 40 lbs as I thrust a broom at the underside of the roof to force the snow to slide off. So that's at least 275 lbs on the original 41 year old deck structure without issue. The 1/4" thick composite decking material that I've added is not contributing at all to its strength. I've had no problems with the deck. - Grandad

jbcurt00

Staff member

My 18' bow cover is no longer that stout ^^^^

Cracked because the ribs are undersized for the load, or abuse, IDK............

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I had an old 1969 Alumacraft closed bow for years and we could walk all over the bow.......but the supports under the bow were forged or cast aluminum!!! bob

barato2

Commander

my take: beefing the structure underneath is a perfect opportunity to add lots more space for flotation foam, so do it. i only weigh 155 and i can feel the skin flex under me, which, even if it doesn't fatigue the aluminum, is not likely to be good for adhesion of coatings. it has the added benefit of actually beefing the structure of the boat, in the sense that the closed bow and its supports form one leg of the "triangle" made by the vee hull.