Remove water from oil

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So... got water in hull, water got into oil via dip stick.

I have a 1989 MCM (GM) 3.0 4 cylinder. To my knowledge it does not have an oil pan plug. I also assume the method of removing oil via the dipstick does not really reach the bottom of the pan as well as I'd like especially since that is where the water will sit.

So, short of removing the engine and pan, any ideas for getting the water out? I was thinking that doing an oil change (and filter) running it for a few minutes to get water mixed in and not sitting on bottom and then doing another change immediately might do pretty well...maybe repeat...

Also was considering feeding a hose down in and getting some sort of manual fuel pump to get to bottom of oil pan.

Thoughts?

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Remove water from oil

There are cheapo electric pumps or drill pumps seem to work well via the dipstick hole, bigger issue is how did water get into the oil?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

So... got water in hull, water got into oil via dip stick.

I have a 1989 MCM (GM) 3.0 4 cylinder. To my knowledge it does not have an oil pan plug. I also assume the method of removing oil via the dipstick does not really reach the bottom of the pan as well as I'd like especially since that is where the water will sit.

So, short of removing the engine and pan, any ideas for getting the water out? I was thinking that doing an oil change (and filter) running it for a few minutes to get water mixed in and not sitting on bottom and then doing another change immediately might do pretty well...maybe repeat...

Also was considering feeding a hose down in and getting some sort of manual fuel pump to get to bottom of oil pan.

Thoughts?

Howdy,

All Mercruiser engines have a dipstick tube that goes to the bottom of the pan. Using a suction type pump on the turb will extract just about all the oil and most of the water in the pan. (you might have maybe a 1/4 cup left)

The little bit of water left will naturally evaporate out when you run the engine for a while at normal operating temp......unless you enough water in there to produce "white oil"

Why do you think you have water in the pan?

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Water got in due to hull taking on water, shredded drive bellows and out of place u-joint bell housing gasket combo. Level was up in the dizzy cap arena so I thought the possibility of water getting it the oil was good. Looking at the dip stick it looked OK but was a hair higher than I remembered. I didn't want to chance it for the cost of an oil change. Sucked it out with the hand pump, Definitely had water in it.

I am simply guessing this method doesn't get all the oil/water out...

All bellows, shift cable and gimbal bearing have been replaced as well as condenser and points. Also needed to clean some electrical connections on trim so it would go down instead of just up:)

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Change it,run it 5 min,change it again,repeat till clear. Three times usually does it.
Grub

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You can easily suck out the water with any sort of pump through the dipstick-tube.

You won't get every drop but you'll get most of it. Then run the engine long enough to emulsify the remaining oil/water mix.

Pump or drain it out and refill with fresh oil.

A couple of oil changes will remove most of the water. Any small amount of remaining water will evaporate out. Some people have suggested putting a little diesel, kerosene, or gasoline in the oil to thin it.

Any of the above will work (use far less gasoline than diesel or kerosene though) maybe a cup or so of diesel.

Or just use the cheapest 5w-20 oil you can find..........thinner oil mixes faster with the remaining water..........

gasoline will result in an explosion hazard (I wouldn't do it.......it was common in aircraft engines in the 50's for cold weather dilution!!)

How much time elapsed from when the water actually got into the engine did you find it?

Volphin

Lieutenant

And that starter is likely toast. Replace it too.

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm guessing the engine was only running for maybe 5 to 10 minutes with any water in it.

"Then run the engine long enough to emulsify the remaining oil/water mix. "

Are you saying to run it without oil here, or to add a thin oil maybe 5w20 and some marvel mystery oil, run for 5 to 10 minutes to mix up good then change and put a new filter and 10w40 HDOE back in with a new filter?

Thanks for your help, it is relaxing me from freaking out about getting every drop out. :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

add a thin oil maybe 5w20 and some marvel mystery oil, run for 5 to 10 minutes to mix up good then change and put a new filter and 10w40 HDOE back in with a new filter?

Thanks for your help, it is relaxing me from freaking out about getting every drop out. :)

pump out as much as you can get out.

Are you saying to run it without oil here, or to
NO! do not run the engine without oil [of course!!]

THEN fill it with the normal amount of oil. (don't over fill it too much.....a cup of diesel/Kerosene, Marvel Snake-oil, etc is ok)

Then run it long enough to get everything mixed well..............

Just draining/pumping out the sump will get most of it leaving a 1/4 a cup of water or less remaining.

The dipstick tube goes directly to the bottom of the pan and will most of the water. It doesn't take much water to produce a visible presence of water in oil.....

It'll take a couple of oil changes to get most of the remaining water out.

Then run the engine in the lake (not on "muffs") at regular cruise speed in gear "loaded" to evaporate the remaining little bit of water.
Make sure the engine gets up to normal temp (140-160 etc....)

Last edited:

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, thanks!

As per the starter, I ripped it apart and gave it a clean and lube, it behave fine now, hopefully will next spring as well. Fortunately it was fresh water not salt.

As an aside, while I was driving my Cherokee from one boat ramp to another to pull the sinking boat (foam filled) out of the water, the radiator blew. I didn't bother playing the lottery that day, oddly wasn't feeling all that lucky.