Verado 250 has gas in the oil.

DaveG.

Recruit
I am changing the oil in a Verado 250 4 stroke outboard. The motor holds 7 liters of oil but when I pulled the plug to drain, the oil went all over the floor missing the oil pan. I could see that the oil pan was not going to hold it all so I grabed a 5 gal bucket to catch the rest of the oil. The oil was very thin and I drained out about 3 gallons. Do you know what would cause that much gas to enter the oil sump?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Verado 250 has gas in the oil.

Best prove first if its water or fuel in your oil. I've seen water dilution look like fuel dilution. Does the drained oil smell of gas? If it is actually fuel, it should be highly flammable. Take a small sample and see if it burns. Take another small sample and see if it sissles when dropped on a hot piece of steel. sissle=water

DaveG.

Recruit

Best prove first if its water or fuel in your oil. I've seen water dilution look like fuel dilution. Does the drained oil smell of gas? If it is actually fuel, it should be highly flammable. Take a small sample and see if it burns. Take another small sample and see if it sissles when dropped on a hot piece of steel. sissle=water

If it were water in the oil I would have said so. If the oil has water in it the oil would be milky or creamy brown in color.

Anyway, I found the problem. The thermostat was stuck open with a stick and small rocks. The motor was not able to reach its proper running temperature which caused excess unburned fuel to blow by the piston rings and dilute the oil.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it were water in the oil I would have said so. If the oil has water in it the oil would be milky or creamy brown in color.

Not necessarily....

But glad you found the problem.... ;)