Starter Problems

SHEFFMYSTER

Recruit
I am trying to help a friend with a volvo 4.3 in a 1999 four winns, motor was replaced in 2005 with vortec 4.3. for the last three years every spring we have had to replace the starter, what happens is the starter spins but will not turn fly wheel. When we install new starter it works for that season. This year we did not have to replace the starter, took boat out one night for about an hour, brought back and put on lift. the very next day went to start and the starter tried to spin the fly wheel but it would not. all the starter would do is spin, Bought a brand new starter and installed it, when I tried to start it did try to turn the fly wheel, but all it does now is spin, we tested the starter we pulled out and the gear does move up to engage the fly wheel. Any ideas?

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Starter Problems

The wire and/or the ground that activates the solenoid has a problem. If you can, put a voltage meter on the little positive wire to the solenoid and see what voltage you are getting while trying to start. Below 11 is a problem. I've seen bad grounds on some engines cause problems albeit not this one. I think there is a relay between the key switch and your starter and that may be the problem. It's usually mounted on the transom. Some are on the engine. It's a small black square relay. I would also ohm the wire to the solenoid and verify its clean. Corrosion gets into places we can't see.

Verify engine ground where the cable from the battery connects to the engine by removing the bolt and making sure its not corroded.

You can just replace the solenoids you know.