Tying Down Large Boats

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 3/8 safety chain shackled to my bow eye and trailer wench area. My boat is 29' and 7500 lb dry. My trailer is triple axel 14,000 LB rating. I'd love to find something to strap down rear of boat, but I don't believe that there is anything practical.

agallant80

Commander
Re: Tying Down Large Boats

I have straps on the rear of my 25 foot cruiser. I think they are more meant for stopping the boat from rolling off the trailer. Do you not have the tie down loops on your transom?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

You are thinking about it in the wrong terms. You aren't tying the boat down the trailer. You are attaching the trailer to the boat so the boat can't move without bringing the trailer with. Think of it this way, you hit a curb with the trailer tires and upset the boat. It rocks to the side, and without straps, there is a chance it just continues its journey. Now if you have the trailer attached, the added width (aka the wheels) will make it a non-event. The total load is no where close to the weight of the boat.

gnathv

Cadet

I have a 27' Carver, weighs 6900 empty, triple axle 10k trailer. I use one of those 20' or so 15k ratchet straps. Attach to trailer, thru aft cleats and down to other side of trailer. This secured it well to the trailer. Towed 600 miles and it did not stretch or loosen, was as tight at end of trip as beginning. Hope this gives you some ideas.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

For short low speed towing I use a single 2" 10,000 lb strap over both outdrives on my 28' cruiser... for longer high speed trips I use another over the stern gunnels just in front of the cleats and one more over the bow just behind the bow cleats.

You can buy these straps at most truck stops or any farm supply store.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00103910/k-G4216037?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLygtJDAnLkCFXRp7AodoR8AHQ

On the net you can find somebody to tell you anything you want about what you don't need to do but one thing you will NEVER hear is a trooper telling you that if only you had put less or smaller straps on your load these people would still be alive.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Actually if you look at my sig pic below you can see one of those straps that I hadn't removed yet after a 1000 mile trip home through two blizzards.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks to all. I have straps but I got to figure out where to tie down on boat and connect to tailer. I may have to install a huge "I" bolt through 6x10 bunk?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Smokeon thewater? Looks like a Cocatoo pulling a cement block. Mine does too. I have white Chevy 4x4 pulling 29' Proline.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

lol... and that's about as big as a pickup gets... 7.3 powerstroke crewcab dually 4x4