I Smell Fuel...

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer
When I take the cover off, I get a strong wiff of fumes... now I've been working on this boat all summer, so maybe that's expected, still it's a little concerning. There's a bit of fluid in the bilge, probably some oil in there. And the cover is old, maybe permeated with fuel smells. It's a small boat (17') and the engine is enclosed (MerCruiser 140) and old (1985) but still... I assume you will smell some fuel, correct? Or no...

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I Smell Fuel...

Nope. You should never smell fuel. You have a leak that needs to be looked into. The same goes for the oil in the bilge also.

Gas smell from a fresh spill will usually be gone in a day or so. If you're smelling it everytime you open the hatch, there has to be a continuous leak somewhere. It may not be enough to see. After running the engine for a while, feel around every fuel hose/line connection. If it feels wet then you've found the leak.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

You're right, I have to track this down... thing is, I've replaced all fuel lines and fittings. The fuel smell has been present since I got the boat. Don't say "fuel tank" ... please, just don't say it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Do you smell more predominantly in the bilge? Where is your tank(s) located? This is a BIG deal...

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I wouldn't turn the key or flip a switch until you find the source. Hopefully the battery is disconnected. You don't need a spark.....

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Typical set up, tank beneath wooden floor amidships, engine aft (I/O). Smell dissipates after the cover is lifted. But, I get wiffs now and then afterwards.

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner

When you say cover you mean boat cover, not the engine hatch, right?

QC

Supreme Mariner

What about when you open the engine hatch? Worse? Less? None?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I'd check the filler tube,vent line,and fuel hose to the motor. Mine had a wiff every now and then,upon teardown for the resto,found the lines cracked/crazed,not leaking at the moment but I'm shure they seeped under way,and let fumes out when sitting.They were old-1985 also. Not long they would have burst,causing a bad situation.
Check them completly!
Grub

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

I've replaced all the fuel lines and fittings from tank to engine and from fuel pump to carb. I checked the connections at the tank for the fuel vent and fill hoses. Difficult to check those hoses from outside to tank tho... I don't see fuel in the bilge. I'm stumped.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Did you have the smell before switching out the lines?

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Did you have the smell before switching out the lines?

Yes, it's a kind of old stale fuel smell. No evidence of fuel in the bilge. But, I smell it when I take the tarp off the boat, and sometimes when I move the engine cover off too. Not when I'm running, or out on the water.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

I would pretty much just go to each main part and see what I can smell. This will have to do done over a day or two because of needing to put the cover back on.

foodfisher

Captain

You, sir, have to get yourself ready to pull the fuel resevoir. If aluminum it can be repaired. The hardest part for me was the itching. Forgot about it when the fuel smell disappeared.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Enclosed,probably impregrated into the hull. Lots of cleaning in unseen places, and like I'm doing,rebuild. The old glass and wood will not let it go away....
Grub

fishrdan

Admiral

You could plug the outlet hose, fill hose and pressure test it from the vent line, to see if the tank and hoses will hold pressure. (Only use 2-3 PSI!)

My boat had a hole in the fuel tank and I'd get a strong wiff of fuel taking off the cover :confused: Though it must be the carb fuel evaporating.... I topped off the fuel tank and had the boat sitting in the driveway for a couple of weeks. When I cranked the trailer up to hook it up to the truck,,, the bilge pump kicked on and started shooting raw gas out like a garden hose :eek::eek::eek: (Lucky I didn't blow up the boat!) It was a small hole, but over a long enough time, it leaked out a lot of fuel.

Have you checked the fuel gauge sender gasket?