Thunderbolt vs. HEI

Tim Bell

Cadet
Tired of fighting with Thunderbolt ignition on 91 MerCruiser 5.0 Would like to know how a HEI dist. would work? What would I have to do about the vacuume advance?

Tim Bell

matt167

Captain
Re: Thunderbolt vs. HEI

Won't, it's not marine rated or ignition protected. Marine HEI's exist but I do not know as they are real marine parts as they come from no major manufactures.. Delco Voyager EST would be a good option if you wish to replace

Bondo

Staff member

Tired of fighting with Thunderbolt ignition on 91 MerCruiser 5.0 Would like to know how a HEI dist. would work? What would I have to do about the vacuume advance?

Tim Bell

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Like Matt says, HEI, Ain't an option, but the Voyager is a Great system, at a reasonable price,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Tim Bell

Hi Tim,

The Merc Thunderbolt IV system is recognised as one of the best for marine engines, if not the best. You're having problems with the sensor in the distributor if I recall correctly. Did you check all you main power connection leads, positive AND negative, for clean and tight? Also did you run the troubleshooting flowchart after the second sensor failed?

Chris....

Tim Bell

Cadet

My son was getting to go through the torubleshooting guide on the second sensor and found a bad connection. Problem solved!!! Thanks for the help. It is really a pain to get towed off the lake two times.

Tim

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

My son was getting to go through the torubleshooting guide on the second sensor and found a bad connection. Problem solved!!! Thanks for the help. It is really a pain to get towed off the lake two times.

Tim

Thunderbolt IS HEI. It's every bit as good as an HEI and just as reliable. (poor connections happen in the HEI too!)

Glad you found the problem!