Problem 2002 90TLRA Boggy after 1/4 Throttle. Please help ASAP

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice
Go to use my 90TLRA this weekend (has not been used since this time last year). Starts and idles fine but as soon as I get to 1/4 throttle it boggs and sounds like its missing on one of the plugs. Plugs look fine, gas is new, hose and tank are new last year. I am heading down today to get a new fuel filter, new plugs, and some carb cleaner, and some seafoam. I need this boat for a work retreat I am going to tomorrow at noon. I hope the problem is small enough that I can figure it out by then. Any ideas would help me so much. Thanks Guys.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Problem 2002 90TLRA Boggy after 1/4 Throttle. Please help ASAP

Compression, spark on all cylinders, and timing are all easy to test to make sure spark is good even at the higher RPMs and timing advances to spec
If all is good then on to fuel, this should help

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-freq...em-283363.html
Make sure fuel pump is not leaking into #3 crankcase

Being it has been a year may just need carbs to be cleaned properly and the adjusted as service manual calls for, these motors do not like to sit for long times and gas evaporates/goes bad in carbs, pump, and lines not to mention tank. Drain tank, flush lines, pump,and carbs
but make sure the things that can be tested are good before chasing things that can not be tested

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

I will look into all of that. I will do a flush to make sure its not water somewhere in the lines. I also have new plugs and fuel filter. I will do all the little things that can be tested or changed cheaply first. Any more ideas would be great.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you think it is #3 cylinder that drops, have a look at the fuel pump to see if diaphragm has a hole in it. dumping fuel into crankcase

BigDVO

Seaman Apprentice

OK UPDATE!!! Worked on this SOAB all night. The only thing that we figured out is that the boat runs perfectly at full power when the Pulse Coil is disconnected. When its connected it goes into some sort of limp mode. I am hoping I can find a dealer up north here with a parts 90HP Yammy that I can snag a the pulse coil off of and see if it works. Other than that I am baffled. Any ideas? Is this something that goes often?