Do I need a new PROP? How can I tell? What do I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Wins

Seaman
I've got a 1995 195 Sundowner Four Winns. OMC SX 5.0 I believe its the VOVO Penta Drive. Engine model number 502APHUE... Numbers on the prop are 14 3/4 x 21 Viper. Prop has a ding or two in it.

***Problem***
I had a boat full yesterday. Six adults. I couldn't plane out at all. I couldn't get the boat up past 10 MPH. Earlier in the day I had 5 adults on just a few hours prior to that and I had to have everybody get up front to plane out, but if I went into a turn I would slow way down. And with six people on the boat I could't get up past 10 MPH or plane out. My RPM's were way down and I was WOT. This is the first time i have had this many people on my boat. It was very embarrassing. I just had the boat in the shop to repair some unrelated shifting issues. A friend of mine told me that I should get a better/new prop. I have no idea what to buy though.......

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Do I need a new PROP? How can I tell? What do I buy?

I'd be tempted to say you've got more than a prop problem - but maybe. Has the boat always performed like this, or is this a "new to you" boat?

What happens with two people on board? What RPM at WOT and what kinda' speed?

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

When did you do a tune up?

4Wins

Seaman

-I haven't done a tune up yet. I changed out my spark plugs. Checked my plug wires and distributor cap. They were corroded and full of crud. I cleaned them out really good. I have a cap on order. I cannot find a set of plug wires online though. ANYONE have a part number for the wires?
-When I am on the boat by myself or one other person my Tach says I am getting 4200 WOT and spedo says i'm going 32 mph but maybe the spedo and tach may be off. This is the first time I have had a boat load of people on it. So this is new to me. I've always felt like it was under performing and assumed it was a prop. But the way it would not plane out or gain speed was a red flag to me.
-I just bought the boat in February and it is my first boat. I've always felt like it was slower than it should be. But assumed it was because it was a 1995. I really didn't mind, it was good for me. But now I realize I may have some issues other than it just being an old motor. I really don't know what the best course of action would be to troubleshoot this. So all of your input is greatly appreciated. I don't want to shotgun a bunch of parts though.

** What do I change out for a tune up??

** What are the plug wires part number??

Last edited:

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

** What do I change out for a tune up??

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, fuel filter, engine oil, drive oil, remove drive lubricate the shaft, new u-joint bellows, check shift cable adjustment. This is what I do in September or May and call it a tune up...

4Wins

Seaman

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, fuel filter, engine oil, drive oil, remove drive lubricate the shaft, new u-joint bellows, check shift cable adjustment. This is what I do in September or May and call it a tune up...

Bulbash,
I just got it out of the shop. It had issues going into reverse and neutral. When they fixed that they had to change gears in the drive assembly. So when they did that I am assuming that they checked the cable adjustment and lubricated the drive shaft. Is that fair to assume?

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Bulbash,
......When they fixed that they had to change gears in the drive assembly. .....?

I might question if they used the right gears?

4Wins

Seaman

I might question if they used the right gears?

I believe they replaced the right gears.....The performance while only 2 people in the boat was the same before and after the maintenance was done. I've never had that many people in the boat before.

4Wins

Seaman

** The carb seems to spraying in plenty of fuel into the barrels when the throttle is moved up.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That engine should be able to turn, at least 4600 rpm, load or no load. I also can't see the boat but what I do see it looks like it would have a fairly modern high speed hull. I do not know what the gear ratio of your setup is but a 21 pitch prop seems pretty steep.

I would take a compression check on your engine for starters. Is your motor a 5.0 ford or chevy? I have a 5.0 Ford roller cam, w/4bbl and mine will hit 5k rpm with six people in the boat. Granted, my boat gets a little wallowy with that load, at high speed but my hull is not what I would consider 'hi speed" and it is 38 years old. My OMC outdrive has a final ratio of 1.5:1 and uses a 15 x 17 prop.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It is a Ford 5.0. Is checking the compression hard to do?

No, but you need a compression gauge to do it. Pull all the plugs, stick the gauge in each hole and spin the motor around a few time to get a maximum registry on the gauge. If your motor has valve issues or worn piston rings, it will not develop sufficient power to move you down the water ways.

You'd have to look up the compression spec for your particular motor.

4Wins

Seaman

No, but you need a compression gauge to do it. Pull all the plugs, stick the gauge in each hole and spin the motor around a few time to get a maximum registry on the gauge. If your motor has valve issues or worn piston rings, it will not develop sufficient power to move you down the water ways.

You'd have to look up the compression spec for your particular motor.

Awesome. I have the manual and it does have a section here for checking compression.

4Wins

Seaman

I'd be tempted to say you've got more than a prop problem - but maybe. Has the boat always performed like this, or is this a "new to you" boat?

What happens with two people on board? What RPM at WOT and what kinda' speed?

Check out this video. What are your thoughts?
1995 Four Winn 195 Sundowner - YouTube

4Wins

Seaman

I am having quite a bit of trouble finding the plug wires for the tune up? Any advice?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I am having quite a bit of trouble finding the plug wires for the tune up? Any advice?

If your plug wires were an issue, the engine would be missing and running crappy. This does not appear to be the case from your description. Worn out engines can still run smooth even though they do put out the power. Deficiencies in ignition components will keep the engine from running smoothly.

You need to look elsewhere.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you disconnect and ground your coil when checking compression, so your engine won't start when you cranking it while checking compression...

4Wins

Seaman

My Clymer manual states that there should not be more than a 10% difference in all of the cylinders and no less than 100psi. Is that all I am checking for? What is a good compression psi to have?

Last edited:

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Clymer manual states that there should not be more than a 10% difference in all of the cylinders and no less than 100psi. Is that all I am checking for? What is a good compression psi to have?

10% yes, Compression depends on the motor, you will have to find the specs for yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.