No Reverse

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 75 650 and recently started having an issue going into reverse. The first thing i noticed was that the motor was not locking when attempting to reverse it was grinding slightly and the motor was popping up a little like the locking mechanism was not working. Now I have consistent failure. Whenever i go tor reverse i get grinding, motor revs but the prop doesn't engage.
I suspect that the issue is the reverscam but I'm not sure. About to go drop the LU and have a look. Any other ideas out there?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: No Reverse

Before you drop the LU, disconnect the cables at the engine and see if it will manually engage reverse as well as the locking pawls. If so, it may be just a cable adjustment. Barring that or a shift cable that has worn through the outer sheath, drop the LU.

Gerry

mercurymang

Thanks Gerry. I did just that. I started playing around with the mercontrol and observing what was happening with the cables as i did so. It worked at first then it hung up and would not go into forward. I then observed that the lower sheathing had moved relative to the brass position dowel on the shift bracket. So what i have is a stripped postion adjustment dowel. Not sure where that leaves me. I'm not sure which parts are available and if I should replace the entire cable or just the adjusment dowel?

mercurymang

ok, looks like i have to order the entire cable. I see them available through teleflex. Looks like they have the OEM for around $140/per and an aftermarket for around $50/per. Additionally, I can look on ebay and find them a little cheaper.
Questions:
1. Should I pony up the extract $100 and get oem or is there no reason to.
2. Any suggestions on cable lenght. I pulled my cable out from under the gunnel and found it to be about 11 1/2' long but all they offer is 11 and 12'. Should I just get the 12'.

Edit:
I looked on one of the well known distributors sites and what I need and is the teleflex 600A cables. As I said they have it listed for $150. I go to amazon and they have the same cable for $30. Anybody know what is going on there?

Edit2: Ok I figured that out. I had the $40 foot cable selected:facepalm: After I changed it to the 11 foot cable, the price came way down. Now just trying to figure out how to measure this cable.

Last edited: