EZ Loader Trailer's Drum Surge Brakes Lock Up - Overheat Bearings

PaulOH

Recruit
2000 SeaRay BR190 with EZ-Loader tandem trailer. Great trailer for 11 years (fresh water) and then after putting in salt water.....
First, I always spray the trailer and it's drums off after boating.
If not trailered for several weeks, the brakes will lock up the first couple of times of slowing down (braking). They never totally release as the bearings get hot within a few miles. No more salt water.
I've had the trailer at the dealership and trailer shops so many times for the same issue that I've literally replaced everything to do with the brakes (hitch, master cylinder, brake lines, drums, springs, shoes, etc.) and it still does it.
I mean, we're talking about brakes here. I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to switch to electric or disk brakes.

Anyone experienced this type of issue with EZ-Loader trailers?

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: EZ Loader Trailer's Drum Surge Brakes Lock Up - Overheat Bearings

That's a real head scratcher. Helpful, I know, but I'm surprised a trailer shop can't figure it out. When you say you replaced the "hitch", do you mean the coupler? If I had to guess, the coupler is the source of your problem. After supplying pressure to the brakes during the first stop or two, the coupler may not be moving properly to allow the master cylinder to release the brake pressure.

oldandintheway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1974 Sea Ray SRV190 on a 1972 Ez Loader that need to be replaced.
Oh, I live on the Oregon coast and play in salt water.
When I contacted the dealer about pricing on a new trailer - he suggested "no brakes".
Note Ez-loder offers elect. or syn. disk or drum.

So what is the gross weight of you loaded boat, motor and trailer ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That's a real head scratcher. Helpful, I know, but I'm surprised a trailer shop can't figure it out.
Figure out what? That saltwater eats drum brakes? There is a reason why 98.6% of saltwater boaters have (Kodiak) disk brakes on their trailers. ;)

Rinsing when you get home is a futile effort. You can't remove dried sodium chloride with a cold water rinse alone. Salt-away works well, but that just another expense and to have any effect, you need to rinse while the sodium is in solution.i.e still wet.

You need to rinse immediately after launching and immediately after retrieval to be effective. I know several guy that have a tank of salt-away with 12V pump to rinse their brakes as soon as a trailer comes out of the water. Typically, those that didn't start out with disc brakes soon switch.

Last edited:

PaulOH

Recruit

Thank you for your responses.
Since having the drums and brake hardware replaced (along with lines) I haven't had the trailer in salt water (rivers and lakes from now on). Yet, I'm still having the same issues. Trailer shop said my drums (not oem - thank you Tire Kingdom) were 1/8 inch too small in diameter and replaced them, still having same issues. The hitch coupler (master cylinder) is also brand new. I'm thinking of trying to back the brakes off further to see if that helps.

Bottom line, I just want to get this thing to the point where I can sell it, even if it means going to disk brakes. Not sure how electric drums would make a difference.

2000 SeaRay BR190 with EZ-Loader tandem trailer. Great trailer for 11 years (fresh water) and then after putting in salt water.....
First, I always spray the trailer and it's drums off after boating.
If not trailered for several weeks, the brakes will lock up the first couple of times of slowing down (braking). They never totally release as the bearings get hot within a few miles. No more salt water.
I've had the trailer at the dealership and trailer shops so many times for the same issue that I've literally replaced everything to do with the brakes (hitch, master cylinder, brake lines, drums, springs, shoes, etc.) and it still does it.
I mean, we're talking about brakes here. I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to switch to electric or disk brakes.

Anyone experienced this type of issue with EZ-Loader trailers?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

in your list of "everything" I see no mention of replacing the wheel cylinders... those are where I would start

DaNinja

Lieutenant

By know means an expert, but I am rebuilding brakes on a trailer right now. Not my SeaRay's trailer but it has been educational.

When I was trying to find a replacement cap for the master cylinder, a mechanic showed me how the diaphragm on the bottom of the cap allowed brake fluid to return to the cylinder by venting some air back out. He said if it could not vent back then the brakes would have trouble releasing after application.

The pros here are free to smack me around, but if a fix was that easy, I thought I would share.