93' 115 hp hard to start

rockin44

Recruit
My 93' will fire for about 10 sec. then stall. This will repeat for about 10 min. or more. Then finally it will catch and run. I did a carb job, set the low speed timing to 4 degrees and the high speed to 24 degrees. Once it runs it goes great. It will start as soon as you turn the key. Any ideas as to what my problem could be?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 93' 115 hp hard to start

Welcome to the forum.
Can you describe your starting procedure?

rockin44

Recruit

Welcome to the forum.
Can you describe your starting procedure?

I have tried cranking and holding the choke primer until it first fires then letting go and then using lever to keep it going until I think it is going then slowly lowering the lever.I have tried pumping the choke once it fires as told to me by the previous owner but that worked great only in the driveway. The last time I took it out after the driveway test I tried everything. After 20 attempts and waiting 1 min. between tries it finally caught by pushing in the primer for 3 sec. then cranking and using the lever to keep it running. I had tried this many times before it worked.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You have the red lever on the choke solenoid turned back over the solenoid?

rockin44

Recruit

You have the red lever on the choke solenoid turned back over the solenoid?
the red lever is pointing over the solenoid. If I was standing at the starboard side of the engine it would be pointing straight away from me.

Last edited:

rockin44

Recruit

Low speed timing proved to be the problem. My timing has separate adjusting rods for high and low. Low speed was too far advanced. I don't know what is set to now but it works. Waited 4 hours and it started and ran as soon as it was turned over. It was set at 4 degrees before I turned it back closer to zero. Thanks for the help.