ski pylon fabrication

FlynChad

Recruit
I have 72 Slickcraft and need a ski pylon. Anyone know a good place that does custom or any prefab on the market?

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: ski pylon fabrication

Right here on iboats, general Google search.....

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

i put on a swivl-eze pylon on my outboard boat - you can get them for about 250.00 new - highly recommend it. There is also a company called Fly High that makes nice ones. The key is to mount them securely and use the proper angles, etc

FlynChad

Recruit

My Slickcraft is an SS-215 which is an inboard so no option for a standard Tri-pod pylon. This will likely need to be a custom build. Attached is a picture of the rear of the boat. The transom wall only goes up to the top of the lettering which prevents any rope cleat from being mounted from the top of the back wall.
SS-215.jpg

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I built a redneck pylon on my boat, but if you're not in to the DIY and want something more pro looking I would go with a swivl-eze pylon.
What ever you decide, just make sure it's supported good.

eboat85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I built a redneck pylon on my boat, but if you're not in to the DIY and want something more pro looking I would go with a swivl-eze pylon.
What ever you decide, just make sure it's supported good.

How did you fabricate the pylon base? I have a 16 Crestliner Nordic and would like to rig a tripod style. Mine is an aluminum hull and I would have to put the mounting base on the floor in front of the bench pad. See the attached pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You'll have to weld the base to the bottom of the hull on an aluminum boat. You may be able to anchor it to the stringers as well.
Click on image in my signature, around the end of the thread there is a explanation of how I did my pylon install.

eboat85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll have to weld the base to the bottom of the hull on an aluminum boat. You may be able to anchor it to the stringers as well.
Click on image in my signature, around the end of the thread there is a explanation of how I did my pylon install.

Thanks for the info. I might be able to add a metal plate to the subfloor and support it across the width of the boat. Then I can install a mounting plate of some type like the kits that are out there. I have to open up the floor first and see what i have to work with.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would look at one of the pre-fab ones on the market as they should be well engineered. If you're going to make it yourself then I would overbuild it. I would still go for a manufactured one or hire someone to do it for you from a safety standpoint.

eboat85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would look at one of the pre-fab ones on the market as they should be well engineered. If you're going to make it yourself then I would overbuild it. I would still go for a manufactured one or hire someone to do it for you from a safety standpoint.

I have to agree with you on that one LL. There is a lot of load on the pylon and it would probably cost more to create on than to fit a mfg unit. I find it interesting that the support legs are mounted on the splash well surface. You would think that the forces would project straight back and it would be better to mount it on the inside of that transom wall. Just a thought.

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Even with a prefabricated pylon you need to have a reinforced floor.
If still wanting to install your own look thru the internet there is plenty of useful information.

Just to comment on my install, the Supports almost always go to the splash well. Fiberglass is some seriously strong stuff.

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A good prefabricated pylon will cost over $200 easily. Add in the cost of strengthening the floor, building your own for around $50 seems like a good savings.

eboat85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A good prefabricated pylon will cost over $200 easily. Add in the cost of strengthening the floor, building your own for around $50 seems like a good savings.

Can't argue there! Right now I am tearing the splash pan area out to fix the transom so I will be able to see what I have to work with under the floor.