Last Carb Question I Promise

powderhoundbrr

Seaman Apprentice
135 Black Max 1992. Having fuel delivery problems and I have a ton of fuel blowing out of the the bottom carb. The pic helps illustrated where.

I am thinking it must be a bad needle valve but any other help would be appreciated. Fuel is just gushing out of the carb.

Arrows show where fuel is coming out. Probably gushing out in in the 3 - 5 gallons an hour range. Which would help explain the poor mileage I have been having lately. (and that gassy smell)

Attachments

• 20130825_174005.jpg
    20130825_174005.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Last Carb Question I Promise

Bad needle and seat, fuel line degrading and piece of rubber holding needle open, float has fuel in it from bad sonic weld...take your pick as carb needs to come off either way.:blue:

powderhoundbrr

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I was having this problem so I tore the carbs apart, cleaned them and re-assembled. Same thing after maintenance. SO I thinking it must be a bad seat or needle. I will take them apart again and investigate.

Is there anything else in the fuel system that could cause this symptom?

If the carbs above are having issues will they just use gravity and push all the fuel to the lowest carb?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Each carb has it's own fuel supply. They should not leak into each other. Check enrichener to make sure it is not stuck open.

powderhoundbrr

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I took off the hoses for the enrichener and there was no fuel coming out of the hose so I unfortunately don't think that is the problem.

powderhoundbrr

Seaman Apprentice

If the enrichener was stuck open would it effect all 3 carbs? Or could it possibly only impact one? Is there a way to check if it stuck open other than pulling the lines?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If it is the same as my '93 135HPV6, the enrichener dumps fuel from top carb to the other two.

powderhoundbrr

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah that is how mine works too, or similiar as there are 2 tubes from the enrichener one going to the top carb and the other going to the middle carb that ties into the bottom. I'll tear the carbs apart again and see whats up. Third time in a week now so I am getting pretty good at it.

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same problem, when I pumped my bulb fuel would spray out of the carbs. I took them apart and found a piece of something keeping the seat from filling the hole. After cleaning them out I had no more issues leaking and bulb would pump up hard but still loading up bad and fouling plugs. I may need to rebuild carbs. How do you know when you need to replace needle, seats, and floats........

powderhoundbrr

Seaman Apprentice

Update: took the carbs apart again last night and cleaned everything. Didn't do anything different from the first time but with the re-assembly everything was pretty happy.

The boat is running perfect, no fuel gushing out and very little smoke from the exhaust where as before it was smoking like crazy at idle. There was also a ton of raw fuel coming out of the exhaust at idle as the motor was drowning in fuel. This too has improved.

So long story short it seems like a happy motor, going out for a quick spin tonight so hopefully she is a perky boat. Realistically the carbs on this motor are simple and not beyond the realm of any crappy back yard mechanic. (describing myself)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you have raw fuel out the exhaust, suspect the fuel pump diaghram.