ah, the Almighty Weep Hole!

RenkenII

Seaman
So, in May I did the cam seal repair on my 470 (S/N 779810) and was good with no leaking anti-freeze. I took the boat to a rental house and spent the week running the boat, about 2 tanks worth and now I have a steady drip from the weep hole. I noticed it drips once every 20 or 30 seconds when not running. My question is: should I just order a new cover at this point or just redo the seals? I haven't taken it back apart at this point. WHen I replaced the seals, should I have used something like pipe dope around them or something? I did not use a sealant at all. For the speedi sleeves I used Loctite. Looks like I already have my off season project. Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: ah, the Almighty Weep Hole!

Usually I put a bit of Loctitie 515 master gasket around the outer surface of a seal.... Silly question, but I'm going to ask... You did put both seals in with the garter spring facing the coolant side, yes?

Chris...

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: ah, the Almighty Weep Hole!

So, in May I did the cam seal repair on my 470 (S/N 779810) and was good with no leaking anti-freeze. I took the boat to a rental house and spent the week running the boat, about 2 tanks worth and now I have a steady drip from the weep hole. I noticed it drips once every 20 or 30 seconds when not running. My question is: should I just order a new cover at this point or just redo the seals? I haven't taken it back apart at this point. WHen I replaced the seals, should I have used something like pipe dope around them or something? I did not use a sealant at all. For the speedi sleeves I used Loctite. Looks like I already have my off season project. Thanks.

When I did my seals I didn't use a sealant on the seals nor did I Loctite the sleeves to the camshaft - I figured they'd hold without it since it was a snug fit to begin with. I have no leaks so I'd suspect you have something else going on in there. Time to take it apart and see for sure...