volvo penta 3.0GSMLKD Hard to shut off

justinteoc

Seaman
ok i have a 97 volvo penta 3.0 it starts good and it runs good its just when it gets normal temp and its only sometimes when you turn the key off it wants to sputter for a sec and then cut off. ive checked for voltage at the coil and it cuts off as soon as you turn the key off is there anything else that could cause this?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: volvo penta 3.0GSMLKD Hard to shut off

Yes: 1) Engine idling too fast. 2) engine heat in the engine bay 3) carbon buildup on pistons. This condition is called "dieseling" and is generally due to #1 and #2 above. Check your tachometer to verify what the idle speed is. If not at factory spec, readjust as necessary. If #1 is correct, then add more cooling capability (fan) to engine bay. You can also leave the engine idle for at least a minute before shut down or try leaving the drive in gear when you turn off the key. Prolonged and repeated dieseling can pull water into the engine and cause it to hydrolock. Fix the situation before that happens as you can destroy an engine.

justinteoc

Seaman
Re: volvo penta 3.0GSMLKD Hard to shut off

Thank you sir i believe my problem is going to be idling to high when i purchased the boat the throttle linkage is missing some pieces so i have it temp. attached and sometimes it will not return back to idle. but i will definately get that fixed now. Thanks for your quick reply.