185BR prop selection

Jpcolema

Cadet
I have a 2008 bayliner 185 with a 3.0. The factor 14x23 prop was no great with 4 people on board. I opted to try a solas rubex 21" 4 blade and the 4th blade did help some but the boat still has a hard time getting on top with 4-5 people on board. Any advice?

Genjem

Cadet
Re: 185BR prop selection

To give a good and accurate answer we will need to know what rpm your boat runs at with wide open throttle. This will tell us what kind of prop you should run. Just guessing I would think the 3.0 would want no more than a 19p but I could be wrong.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a sea ray 180 with the same 3.0L merc. The range for this engine is 17p-21p on my boat, but it should be slightly heavier then yours. I had the 21p on there when i bought it, and it ran ok, but had trouble getting up with the tube behind me. I stepped down to the 19p, and it is a world of difference. takes off fast, planes out quick, and with the extra rpm, i didnt loose much top end if any. I stayed with 3 blade props for all of them though.

Ive heard if you step up a blade, you are supposed to go down a pitch. If that is true, i would guess you are over propped.

I used a solas Amita 3 19p aluminum prop and cant be happier.

Jpcolema

Cadet

It runs around 4000 rpm @ wot and it is a heavy boat as it has an extra group 29 battery, wake tower with Bimini speakers and lights. The 21" 4 blade solas rubex does decent at best with 4 people on board. It was running the same wot rpm with a 3 blade factory 23 as it does now the major difference I saw was a lot more bite in curves and a little more take off but it's not enough and the rubex seems to be mighty soft as it has Knicks already (2trips) and I never felt the not hit anything

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is that 4000 with a load of people?Your lightly loaded wot rpm and gps speed would give us better information.
It is safe to say that the same prop in a 19 should solve your problem but you will need to be careful you don't over rev with a light load. As far as the prop nicks go the Solas props have a good reputation.For quality and performance.
An aluminum prop will normally run many years with only paint loss and perhaps some cavitation burns on the under side of the blades.
Heavily silted water will wear down an al prop over many years but nicks would come from contact with debris.
Perhaps contact Solas maybe with some pictures i suppose it may be defective.
Post us some pictures.

Jpcolema

Cadet

4000 is with a light load of people, with a heavy load it might get to 4000 after about 2 minutes!

Jpcolema

Cadet

GPS speed wot with full load at wot is around 34 mph. Speed with small load at wot is @ or over 40 mph

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would def say try a 19p out, 23 sounds awfully big for that motor.

jestor68

Commander

The Bayliner 185/3.0L, 2.0 gear ratio comes with a 21 pitch Mercury aluminum prop and usually turns about 4600 rpm @ 41 mph. It never should have had a 23 on it.

Equipped with a 19 pitch, it will turn right at 5000 rpm at about the same top speed with better acceleration.

I recommend either the Solas or Quicksilver aluminum props.

Last edited:

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting. I just picked up a 1983 Invader 17.5BR with the 3.0L and OMC outdrive. The prop thats on it now is in good shape, but is a 14x13, which seems a little short on pitch. Previous owner doesn't recall what the RPMs were at WOT. I haven't had it in the water yet because of broken engine mounts, so I have no other data to pull. It'll be interesting to see how high the engine screams with that prop.

Jpcolema

Cadet

Thanks jester! That explains some things, I've got a 19 " 4 blade hustler an smart tabs on the way, I think this will solve my problem! I'll be trying it Saturday and will report back with these results and pics

Jpcolema

Cadet

So after installing smart tabs and a 19 pitch hustler 4 blade the boat now exceeds my expectations! Smart tabs are the best invention since sliced bread! I did lose a few mph with the 19 but with the tabs I gained some of it back and now I can run wot in choppy water without having a lot of bow hop. The 3.0 now had no problem pulling a tube with 2 adults on it and 3 in the boat and pulls a wakeboard with ease. Wot(no trim) 4200 rpm @ 34 mph trimmed out I could get to around 37-38 mph @4500 rpm. I would have to say that with my boat setup this 19" pitch 4 blade turning point hustler with smart tabs Is perfect

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It would seem you are near perfect.
I do wonder if you backed off the tabs to minimum effectiveness if you might pick up a couple of mph and still maintain ride.

Jpcolema

Cadet

I actually installed the tabs @ 20 degrees instead of the recommended 25 and then tried 1 hole above and below the center and it seemed to work best at the center setting, I used 20 degrees because the 3.0 lacks horse power and I didn't need any brakes!