tracker or poplar kraft?

mjc3276

Seaman Apprentice
im looking at a tracker targa v18 wt with merc 150 4 stroke. it seems to be a good family and fishing boat. the kodiak dc and wt series with the 150 seems pretty sweet too. any reccomendations or advice in making the decision? I do have a 16 ft starcraft I inherited but I will be keepin it.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: tracker or poplar kraft?

Tracker is an entry level boat. Some are happy with them some find a lot of problems. I'd check the value of the motor and add very little. Just my 2 cents.

mjc3276

Seaman Apprentice

im on a budget but im also want to get the most out of the boat. I cant spend over 30k... my wife will beat me. i go on the potomac a lot, intend to use it in the bay, but dont have a lot of room at the house to keep her. im going between a bay boat/ carolina skiff style or the walk through.. the wt gives a bit more protection from elements... I do fish a lot in winter. the deep v will take waves. other issue is welded vs riveted... which is more durable?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Welded all the way...... Plus, rivets leak over time.....

I suppose an 18' WT Crestliner, Alumacraft and Lund are in the $30's? How about a slightly used one, you could save a bunch of $s.....

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Plenty of power for that boat with the 150. The deep V will be cherished......alum boat in rough water with a deep V covers a lot of sins.

Tracker has been around for a long time and have survived the test of time. They aren't Tiffany's jewelry store. More like JC Penney's or Wally World. But they build good products and use good equipment.

HTH,
Mark

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

That Targa is a good boat. And maxed out on hp with the 150, good to go.

Some of their lesser boats are often sold with minimal hp, and many buyers are disappointed.

You should be good with the Targa.

mjc3276

Seaman Apprentice

im good to go alumnacraft as well. the style will be consistant. im not looking for a pretty boat... I am very hard on stuff. I need functional. the targa 18ft wt combo with swim platform is 28k with trailer and 150 merc. the problem I have with going used is no warranty. stuff breaks. bust out another k... lol. I have carb issues on y 9.9 currently. thats another story.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Lowe's are all welded as well. I just got a 2005 Lowe FM175 for 8k with a 115hp Optimax. PO fished strictly Lake Michigan with it. Its very deep and stable. 92" beam. I looked at a Targa of the same size and it wasn't nearly as wide or stable.....but that was the 17ft version. Got it for under 9k with an engine mounted trolling motor and 2.5K worth of locators. Only downside it is side console.....but offered with dual.

junkpile

Cadet

I wouldn't touch a Tracker anything after dealing with several of my buddies boats.
I've seen cracked transoms, cracked corner welds, and cracked gunwales over the years and two just plain bent hulls from rough water. All were bass boat style boats with 40-50hp motors on them. Great looking boats but they didn't hold up to what I'd call normal use. Having seen the type of failures on their boats, it was enough for me to realize I never want to own one.