installing a tronsom in a aluminum boat

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all. I bought this blue fin aluminum boat and when I got it home had a suspicion the transom was bad so took the cap off and wow. totally wasted. I had to dig it out it was so wet and rotten. Anyway got it all cleaned out and got some plywood and since I didn't have the template of the old transom I have about 1/16 to 1/8th play on each side. Is there something I can fill that void up with or does it hurt to be a little loose or should I start over? Thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: installing a tronsom in a aluminum boat

No problemo with the gap. what kind of wood did you use? Did you Seal it? If so, what did you use to seal it?

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

I used exterior grade plywood and am sealing it with epoxy. When I clued the two pieces together I left the screws in that I used to adhear the pieces hope that was ok. I still sealing it so I can always take them out before the install

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Chris. Sounds like the transom will be fine. If you're worried about the sides, you cut a small piece of aluminum angle and mount one side to the transom and one to the side of the hull, but you'll probably be fine without it assuming you're not using a very large hp motor. You can also wiggle the motor once it's mounted on the hull to see if there is any tansom flex present.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you use 3-4 coats of epoxy, leaving the screws in should not be a problem. Epoxy has NO UV protectants soooo you should paint it with some Oil based paint as a final coating. The rustoleum oil base is a good one to use. 2 coats will be enuf. To ensure your transom lasts a long time in the future always predrill any holes and then coat the holes and the hardware with 3M 4200 sealant. if you do this that transom will last for Decades.;)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Your good, that small amount of play won't make any difference at all. Just be sure to go a bit further forward and inspect the braces and bottom of the hull for cracks and loose rivets. The problem is people using the boat with no transom left and all of that stress gets transferred into the hull a lot of times causing damage.