New Problem FD-12___VIDEO

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone ever seen this?

I go to accelerate, and about 3/4's of the way up I get a stranger shudder or hesitation like it's missing or something. It will sometimes do it to the point that it lasts a long time and will not kick in like it does in end of this video, I either wind up running it at half throttle, or killing it and waiting it out...(waiting seems to work, but it hasn't been doing this long enough to see a pattern)
She's got a new carb kit and all new ignition with timing set up with an ohmmeter, I've just tried disassembling the carb and blowing the passages all out but no change...

kfa4303

Banned
Re: New Problem FD-12___VIDEO

Hi Big Jay. I see what you mean. It sounds like it's only running on one cylinder to me :/ Does it feel like it's fully engaging the gears? It may be slipping due to a warn clutch dog, or misadjusted shift shaft.

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello again kfa,

Pretty sure it's engaging, I just resealed the lower unit and the clutch dog looked a little worn but not bad, and it doesn't feel like gears...

At first I was worried someone would say it's a lower crank seal or something (phew):cold:. There is guy on youtube who posted a vid about his starflite and it looked to be a similar issue, though on a much big motor. His turned out to be a frayed wire I think... have to check mine.

When mine acts up, it's quite a violent swinging action (you see my arm shaking slightly though I'm hanging on tight)... but not like it's impacting something. More like you're working the throttle from full to off, back and forth very quickly...

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Big Jay. I think you might be right about a frayed wire, which would cause one cylinder to fire on/off intermittently and causing the herky-jerky feel. Thankfully, the ignition systems on these motors are dead simple. I would remove the flywheel again and very carefully inspect all of the wires for each cylinder. I would also inspect/replace the spark plug wires themselves, if they haven't been changed in a while. They sometimes wiggle free of the coil posts. You'll want to use 7mm copper core wire which you can usually get at places like NAPA for a few bucks a foot. Here's a great ignition rebuild link that can walk you through the job. You can get a "tune up" kit with new points & condensers as well as replacement coils right here at iboats and/or NAPA for about $20 each as well.

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the handy link...

I have however already replaced the ignition whole, including plug lines purchased at my local dealer. I think the only original wiring left are the 2 lines running to the kill switch (hmm).

If it stops raining today I'll tear into it again....

kfa4303

Banned

......hmmmmm. You can remove those two wires entirely for now and kill the motor by choking it. I actually replace all of my factory kill switches with the push-button lanyard style in the pic below. You can find them on amazon for about $10 and they install in no time. They add an extra layer of convenience and safety as well. Plus, the red color seems more instinctual for STOP than a generic black button.

lanyard kill switch.jpg

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, all the ignition seems to be ok...

no frayed wires... any other ideas?