HELP in identifying Outboard

Bill CNC

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I am in need of some help in identifying Outboard I just picked up. It has no ID tag on the left clamp, it's missing. I have taken a few photos in hope that someone might be able to ID this motor by sight. I have taken a picture of a number "65600" that is cast into the engine case. Just from parts diagrams, the cover seems to be from 1984-1987.

Any help would be appreciated as I need to replace the water pump impeller. The guy I bought it from say's he didn't replace it and doesn't know if the owner before him had replaced it, so I say it's about time. ;)

Regards
Bill

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: HELP in identifying Outboard

I suspect your ID tag is shown in the next to the last picture. Whether you can remove the top layer of paint without ruining the underneath part can only be determined by trying. Lite sanding and strong oblique light may reveal the underlying mystery.

Bill CNC

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys,

Well wet sanded the IS landing area with 600 so I could see if the numbers would slowly appear. Nothing, ...

Bill

Bill CNC

Cadet

It can't be to late, ... the cover is for an 84-87. Do you think the impellers are the same for those years?

matt167

Captain

It is a Yamaha/ Mariner, but what model, I don't know. Here is what it should look like I think 25hp Mariner Outboard Long Shaft Remote Yamaha..

Perhaps, finding a P/N on the motor that you could cross to a specific model. A Yamaha dealer might be able to go farther in finding what it is.

matt167

Captain

They made them for at least 10 years. I bet if you called it a 1986 you would end up with the right impeller/ water pump. Not much info to go on... Mariner was Yamaha's introduction into the US. Imports should be Yamaha, but US spec should be Mariner. 656000 only comes back to your thread on Yamahaoutboardparts. I see a model number of 695-xxx often when looking these up, but your motor is still kind of a mystery with few markings