2.3 L Cobra

kc8pny1

Recruit
Hello I am new here. I have a question in regard to my boat I just purchased. I purchased a 1991 Four Winns and it has the 2.3 L cobra in it with the cobra outdrive.

The drive would not shift into forward and only had reverse, I took it to my local marina to have them adjust the shift problem and all is well. Now the problem is, I can sit in neutral and the engine will rev up like no other and run good, but when there is actually a load the engine wont go over 2,000 RPM WOT.

Someone said to check the points and condensor as this could cause it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2.3 L Cobra

New boat? Do this (in no particular order):

-FULL tune up. (points and condenser should probably be changed annually)
-Fuel system check. From pick up to carb!
-Change out drive oil
-Clean flame arrestor
-Change engine oil

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it rev up in the neutral? Problem is in the water? Does it get better on the muffs?

Does it feel like engine misfires? Did you look at the spark plugs? Replace water/fuel separator, points, rotor cap.

kc8pny1

Recruit

Yes it will rev up fine in neutral. I have not tried to rev it up on the muffs.

The problem is just when I engage it to forward and go to WOT it only gets up to about 2000 RPM.

After talking to the guy I bought it from, the prop that was on it wad a 13 3/4 and the one that is on there now is a 15x17. He is not sure where the 15x17 come from but was on there when I bought the boat.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you sure that your shift cable got adjusted properly and your shift assist module is working correctly, it does seem that your shift assist is bogging your engine down... Try searching threads regarding shift assist modules, there is a plenty of info here on how to troubleshoot and check that system...

kc8pny1

Recruit

Thanks for the input everyone, Instead of messing with it myself I decided to take it to the marina where I had the shift cable adjusted at and they got it going.

It seems that the points were not properly gapped. The mechanic said he is not even sure how it was even running. He also lake tested it and said it runs good with no issues.

Now what kind of RPM should I be running WOT? The mechanic said 4200 RPM but I have seen where others have said 5200-5600 RPM.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now what kind of RPM should I be running WOT? The mechanic said 4200 RPM but I have seen where others have said 5200-5600 RPM.

Original manual calls for 5200 to 5600rpm . I have exact same engine and with 15pitch prop my WOT is 5500 - 5600rpm max speed with gps 43mph

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hello I am new here. I have a question in regard to my boat I just purchased. I purchased a 1991 Four Winns and it has the 2.3 L cobra in it with the cobra outdrive.

The drive would not shift into forward and only had reverse, I took it to my local marina to have them adjust the shift problem and all is well. Now the problem is, I can sit in neutral and the engine will rev up like no other and run good, but when there is actually a load the engine wont go over 2,000 RPM WOT.

Someone said to check the points and condensor as this could cause it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy Aaron,

Welcome aboard!

Have a look at the following thread. Lots of good info there. Focus particularly on #14
http://forums.iboats.com/omc-i-o-in...have-technical-information-diyers-468655.html

Regards,

Rick

kc8pny1

Recruit

Original manual calls for 5200 to 5600rpm . I have exact same engine and with 15pitch prop my WOT is 5500 - 5600rpm max speed with gps 43mph

Are you running a 15x15 prop bulbash? I sent to the prop to a local facility to have the prop taken a 15 pitch.