Setting Timing

mcgradypilot

Cadet
Hey guys. Simple question that someone can answer for me. I am trying to set the timing on my Volvo Penta 5.7 GLi PLKDCE. I am following the manual. Start the boat, bring rpm to 1000, jump wires on ECU port to "trick it", and then set timing. I had a few questions because I have never seen a timing pointer like mine and my engine dies a few hundred rpm when I "trick" the ECU.

1. Do I line up the timing flash with the knotch? There isnt a numbered "Grid" per say.

photo (3).jpg

2. Should the RPM drop off? and should it be reset to 1000?

Thanks in advance guys. Having trouble with my boat pinging about 3500 RPM. Checked the whole fuel system including new pumps, lines, dip tube, VST tank cleaned, injectors cleaned, filter replaced, all pressures check out now... now its time to check the ignition and sensor side of the house.

mcgradypilot

Cadet
Re: Setting Timing

Thanks for a link mello! I took a shot in the dark and set the timing using the notch as 0 and using an adjustable timing light. I am going to take it out this afternoon and see if I find any improvement. Its been frustrating because it runs like a champ up to the point it starts ping.