Will this winterize video be suitable for my engine?

mirabeau

Cadet
Hi,

I knows it's too early, but I'm close to purchasing a boat (my first) and am understanding what's involved in maintenance. It would have a 1999 Volvo Penta 5.0 GL. I've found a useful video (link below) which shows a procedure which even I could follow. The video says its for the same motor, but the one in the video is red and mine is charcoal. Are these different models or just different paint jobs? Would the same procedure apply?

How to Winterize a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL Marine Engine | Performance Product Technologies

Thanks

MP

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will this winterize video be suitable for my engine?

Probably will work.
I've never been a fan of the fill bottle thingy they showed.
I use gallon jugs of antifreeze.Then back fill the whole system.
I also hook up the muffs and run the motor while the plugs are out.
It helps flush the block of sand and crud.
Make sure the oil cooler's(if you have one) drained too.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Will this winterize video be suitable for my engine?

The procedure is fairly standard across models and manufacturers. It is a matter of knowing where all the drain locations are on the engine. Their procedure, as shown in the video, is fairly elaborate, since it involves draining then running anti-freeze.

Also, there are different schools of thought regarding "draining" versus running "anti-freeze" through the engine. Some folks do one method or the other. I do both to get the benefits of each method, but pretty much in reverse order as shown in the video.

Regardless of the approach, the objective is still the same . . . protect the engine and its various components from water freeze damage.

Last edited: