carb issue ?

phew

Cadet
87 trophy small block chevy 350, boat will run at 1500ish rpms all day long never miss a beat will run on the muffs at any rpm just fine. Now in the water it will hold 1500 rpms all day go over that it falls flat on its face like its starving for fuel sometimes it will die others if you catch it soon enough will recover and run at idle to 1500 again until you try to open it up. We checked the vent which was plugged and opened it up, made no difference switched out the fuel pump didn't change anything headed towards the anti siphon valve next. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated this is getting frustrating. Thanks

phew

Cadet
Re: carb issue ?

Also forgot to add has new fuel filter/water separator. And the kicker motor which branches off the tank runs fine no issues what so ever

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Filter in the carb? Maybe it needs a tune-up?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Anti-siphon valve good start as well. Although I'm gonna guess Carburetor rebuild. Rochester 2Jet on it? Change that anti-siphon and check your timing I had similar issues with a well craft and after changing every filter known to man, fuel pickup tube, anti-siphon valve, etc I ended up selling boat but later found out from new owner he had to rebuild bushings on distributor which caused my timing to jump. Hence reason when I hooked timing light to damper on engine it jumped around and couldn't get it to stay steady.

When I ran boat on muffs I could easily get it above 1500 RPM but once I put a load on it in open water wouldn't do any faster then 10mph. Good luck and always a pita tracking down the culprit but start with the cheap basic tune up stuff first.

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Try running with the gas cap off. Just one of the possibilities to try.

phew

Cadet

Turns out it was either the carb filter or siphon valve or the combination of the two. Either way the boat jumped right up and moved got up on a plane ran the whole day no issues. I was beyond shocked got 2 nice coho and all. Thanks for the advice and ideas........... Now if any one knows about tr-1 auto pilots thats a whole nother adventure I'm getting I to.

phew

Cadet

Anti-siphon valve good start as well. Although I'm gonna guess Carburetor rebuild. Rochester 2Jet on it? Change that anti-siphon and check your timing I had similar issues with a well craft and after changing every filter known to man, fuel pickup tube, anti-siphon valve, etc I ended up selling boat but later found out from new owner he had to rebuild bushings on distributor which caused my timing to jump. Hence reason when I hooked timing light to damper on engine it jumped around and couldn't get it to stay steady.

When I ran boat on muffs I could easily get it above 1500 RPM but once I put a load on it in open water wouldn't do any faster then 10mph. Good luck and always a pita tracking down the culprit but start with the cheap basic tune up stuff first.

quadrajet gonna time it in and give her another shot next weekend had a lot of pinging in the mid rpm range but wide open nothing ran sweet. Well as good as a rough timed not expecting to run well motor could run

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

quadrajet gonna time it in and give her another shot next weekend had a lot of pinging in the mid rpm range but wide open nothing ran sweet. Well as good as a rough timed not expecting to run well motor could run

My apologies Quadrajet is what I meant to say. Glad you fixed your problem it would be my suggestion to also look into before next season cleaning out carburetor. Don't have to rebuild it I suppose but if filter was bad then I'm sure dirt and debris slipped in.

Then there is that saying if ain't broke don't fix it. So go with your hunch feelings and enjoy that boat.

phew

Cadet

My apologies Quadrajet is what I meant to say. Glad you fixed your problem it would be my suggestion to also look into before next season cleaning out carburetor. Don't have to rebuild it I suppose but if filter was bad then I'm sure dirt and debris slipped in.

Then there is that saying if ain't broke don't fix it. So go with your hunch feelings and enjoy that boat.

More than likely it will get a rebuild this winter right now I'm just gonna run it and finish out the season. The salmon are running and derbys are starting up. After that I can take it back apart

Renken1

Cadet

Quadrajets are very tunable. I've been rebuilding them for 25+ years. I've found that the brand "Standard" has the best kits, meaning they contain the higher quality gaskets, complete accelerator pump plunger ( instead of just the rubber ring for it ), and the best indepth tuning instructions. If its possible to get one for your application I would consider it when it comes time to rebuild.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 305 2 barrel and runs fine at 3500 rpm but when I pushed it all the way last weekend it just fell on its *** wide open.
Does the carb have a fuel filter on the carb? I change the canister one every year.
Thanks Beef

Last edited:

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 305 2 barrel and runs fine at 3500 rpm but when I pushed it all the way last weekend it just fell on its *** wide open.
Does the carb have a fuel filter on the carb? I change the canister one every year.
Thanks Beef

Yep. In the carb body, right where the fuel line enters.