2.5 Suzuki SS as a trolling kicker for a 16' aluminum boat

jholovacs

Cadet
I have a 16' aluminum fishing boat with a 40HP long shaft (20") outboard. The transom is notched about 10" in the center of the transom to mount the outboard.

I also have a little 30lb 2.5HP Suzuki short shaft (15") outboard. Not wanting to buy another outboard, I'm wondering how practical it would be to put the Suzuki on one of those outboard brackets and use it for trolling. It seems I would need to mount this thing about 15" down. It also seems like it would be really difficult to pull the cord to start it in the down position.

Has anyone done something like this? Did it work well? Or is it really going to be better to get another outboard with a long shaft?

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2.5 Suzuki SS as a trolling kicker for a 16' aluminum boat

I tried this with an old Yamaha 3hp that my grandpa has, the 15" shaft worked fine going forward but sucked air in reverse "attempting" to back troll. Also the little motor was running well past 1/2 throttle to achieve a 2-2.5mph trolling speed. I have a little 2.5hp Suzuki that I use on a flat back canoe for backwoods fishing and it works great as a propulsion device but It really isn't a "smooth" running motor and the vibration would get to me after hours of trolling with it. As a matter of fact no 2.5 to 6hp 4 stroke is very smooth as they are all single cylinder engines, I jumped to a F9.9HT Yamaha for a kicker an love it. The old 4-8hp twin 2 smokes were nice smooth trollers since the had 4 power strokes in 2 revolutions instead of ONE like little 4 strokers.